Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blowing Smoke in Waunakee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blowing Smoke in Waunakee

i had ribs and my wife had pork shoulder (not pulled pork, pork shoulder. it comes in cubes). the ribs were the most perfectly cooked ribs i've ever eaten, however they were so oversmoked that i couldn't taste anything else. it was a shame because they were so tender and juicy and came right off the bone with the slightest tug but it was like eating a campfire. i had onion rings and corn bread and those were quite good. the wife said the pork shoulder was good.

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
    it was like eating a campfire.
    There's a slogan for you!

So this pork, they just cooked a pork shoulder like for pulled pork and cubed it? Did it stay together like pork tofu or cubes of chicken or was it not as well done as pulled pork gets?

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      well the wife ate it and she said it was tender and good. we had just visited 2 craft breweries so i didn't have a great attention span to investigate. i know when i looked at it the cubes were like 1x2 inches, 2 inch cube, etc. they were big

DeusDingo ...

One of the most memorable quotes I've remembered from Meathead about smoking food is...

Treat smoke like salt. A little smoke/salt can greatly enchace the flavor of your food. However too much salt/smoke can ruin a dish to the point all you can taste is salt/smoke.

That is my guideline I go by every time I add wood chunks.😎

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      maybe with the tip i should i have left a URL to this page

I bet you they had an inexperienced (or under-educated in fire management skills) person tending the fires. Probably too big a fire choked back causing grey billowing smoke. Sounds like their timing was on though. Makes you wonder if that's their norm or just a bad run of ribs from that particular pitmaster apprentice.

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      i am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and guess they had some issue with the smoker that caused it to soot up the food or something like that. i might go back and give them another shot, just not anytime soon.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here