Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff's Texas Style BBQ Marysville, WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff's Texas Style BBQ Marysville, WA

Had the opportunity to try this place while staying north of Seattle. Jeff's Texas Style BBQ

A little surprised to find nobody from that area has reviewed it, though Marysville is a significant drive from Seattle. Maybe they're still trying to keep the secret. Jeff's has received at least one "Best BBQ in WA state" award.

They (Jeff) tout the Texas style. To me, that boiled down to:
    • Rub on the meats is salt and pepper. Period.
    • Post oak imported from Texas.
    • Nothing comes with sauce on it.
    • They made it today. When they run out of meat, they close.
    They do various plates and sandwiches, but we just got straight up meat by the pound and sides to take out. Here's what we got:
    • Brisket
    • Pulled pork
    • Spare ribs
    • Pork belly (Friday special of the day)
    • Mac & cheese
    • "Brisket" baked beans
    • Cole slaw
    The meat: The brisket was tender and juicy, with a proper bark. I got lucky in the sequence as they were starting a new brisket when it was our turn. I requested and was given slices off the point end. Both the point part and the flat part were yummy. Doing brisket myself, I'd use a bit more salt. Pulled pork was pulled to order. They pulled off chunks and broke it up. I liked that, as it keeps it from drying out. No sauce applied by them. Spare ribs done as I like them, tender but not "fall off the bone". I think it would take some effort to screw up pork belly. They didn't screw it up. I'd never had pork belly with just salt and pepper. Still think I prefer mine done with some sweet and spice, but liked their treatment. A nice touch I noticed as they made up take out orders was asking how soon you'd be eating. If "soon", they would slice up / pull the meats, or if "later" they'd ask if you would like it left whole so's not to dry out.

The sides: The brisket baked beans were outstanding. We collectively ate about half the large container with the meal. Spouse ate ALL the remaining later (she really liked them). Mac & cheese good, but nothing special. Same with the slaw, fresh and not too sweet with the dressing.

They offered two flavors of sauce, or more precisely two levels of heat for THE sauce. Presented as a fairly thin "dipping" sauce. Vinegar forward, pepper and spice, a touch of sweetness. I liked it.

If you visit this place, be aware it's popular. We arrived just before noon, so the end of the line was just inside the front door, about a 15-20 minute wait. When we left, it was over twice as long, out into the parking lot. Service is totally linear: Order, get food, pay, next. I think they sell out pretty much every day, so don't expect to show up at 5 and find them open.

Nice review.

Comment

Thanks, I’ll have to check that out. I’ve heard good things but I absolutely love Gabriel’s Fire in Mountlake Terrace and haven’t been able to bring myself to try any other bbq place in that area.

Comment

I’ve been to Jeff’ a couple of times - he produces excellent barbecue. I have difficulty deciding what I want each time as it is so good.
        If he’s not real busy Jeff will take you back behind the front counter, show you his operation and talk barbecue with you. He spent a half hour of his work day talking brisket with me, listening to how I did brisket, and giving advice. Awesome guy and great barbecue!

Comment

I agree - nice review.

Comment

Thanks for the review! Although....... now I’m hungry. Lol.

Comment

I moved to Bellingham north of Marysville 6 years ago. My job had me driving all over western Washington and I would stop at every BBQ joint i found hoping to find a decent smoked meat. When I walked into Jeff's the aroma told me I had found the right place. Finally.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit.

Thanks!

Comment

This is great to know, my office is in Everett so theoretically I could try it out . The last time I got brisket at the place closest to me, Briley's, I was underwhelmed. That was a turning point - when brisket at home is better than whats on the menu you can walk tall! Thx for the review!!

Comment

Thanks for the review

Comment

I'm in Snoqualmie, next time I'm in Marysville I'll check Jeff's out!

Comment

So!!! The fam spent Fathers Day weekend with GPa who lives in Sumas and we drove through Marysville to get there. Thinking GPa would love some BBQ for dinner we decided to see if Jeff's was sold out at 5:30 on Friday. Traffic was so bad going north we had absolutely nothing to loose. When i got there they were only sold out of Turkey breast and so I picked up 2# brisket, 2 sausage links, the brisket beans, the last lump
                      of pork belly they had, and a full rack of spareribs. We ate the sausage in the car on the way there because the kids were getting mutinous. They were *Amazing* in fact if I go back thats what I'm ordering. So peppery and perfect - never had sausage like that in my life. The brisket and the ribs were very good, basically perfect except I think they could trim their brisket a little more aggressively because some of the slices were fattier than i would like. I have no criticism of the ribs at all. Absolutely no sauce needed. They cut me the point end off the brisket so I got the benefit of the deckle for judgin'. I would go back in a heartbeat. Thank you for turning me on to Jeff's Texas BBQ. Sorry no pics - you will have to go for yourself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here