Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chantilly/Fairfax, VA recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chantilly/Fairfax, VA recommendation

Might be a long shot, but has anyone in the Pit tried either Willard's BBQ in Chantilly or Mission BBQ's Greenbriar location? I'm trying to decide where to pick up my birthday dinner tonight. Both have very good reviews on Google, not quite as good reviews on Yelp. But when it comes to bbq, I'd trust the review of one pit member over the reviews of one thousand "unknown persons" that may believe that if you can taste the meat through the sauce, that it needs more sauce.

Without a trusted recommendation, I'm leaning towards Willard's simply because I appreciate a place that has burnt ends on the menu.

No, but I will be watching this closely because I'm definitely going to one of these this weekend. Great idea and Happy Birthday!

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Willards is one of my favorite!
    Work at Dulles. Not a big fan of Mission.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Man I miss that area. Worked in Tysons back in the 90's, built the Ritz Carlton hotel at Tyson's II and the Freddie Mac headquarters. Had good times up there !!

I normally have the burnt ends sandwich. But like all things sold for the masses its not like what we see in the Pit.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy Birthday!

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Yea Happy B'Day man !! I'd bring you to Lockhart for your present but then you'd have an even bigger dilemma choosing from Kruetz's, Black's or Smitty's. So many choices, too little time !!!

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

We went to a Mission close to us and see no reason to go back, but it wasn't terrible.

Comment

Hope you didn't choose Mission - there is one here that is average. And happy Bday.

Comment

jumbo7676 So? Which did you choose? What did you eat? How did you like?

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Oops, kind of early I guess. I’m in India and its 5:22 am.

Ended up going with Willard's. Glad the recommendations pointed me that way since I had decided that location made more sense for my commute home anyway.

Good: sliced brisket was moist with good flavor, St. Louis ribs were tender without falling off the bone, burnt ends, dirty rice, baked beans
        OK: Green beans, rice & beans
        Not so good: pulled pork - pork shoulder is such a forgiving cut so I don't understand how a bbq joint that's been around so long can have dry pulled pork. Cornbread - had good flavor but was way too dry.

Final verdict: nothing stood out as great but the food was good, better than I have come to expect from bbq joints in this area. Impressed with the amount of food for the $$. Would go back for beef and ribs, avoid the pulled pork, and maybe try their chicken or sausage.

Comment

Yes, I realize it is late... Yes, I realize it isn't in Fairfax... but Carolina Brothers is fantastic. https://carolinabrothers.com/ It is in Ashburn, so a bit of a haul, but if you bike/walk/run, it is on the W&O.D. Trail. If you want a bit more of a drive, go to Sibby's in Warrenton. It will be worth the trip. http://sibbysbbq.com/

My take on Mission... not as good as Dixie bones, better than Famous Daves, superior to Smokey Bones (I'll never go back there). I will go back to Mission, but only for brisket/chicken. My pork bbq is better than theirs. =)

Comment

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            If only I had known this last week. Was in Ashburn picking up a used Weber Performer Premium.

• shush
            shush commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry I was tardy.

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            No worries. I'll get back out there at some point.

I Have had mixed luck on mission. There's one in Maryland that is 4 stars. The one near my on Telegraph Rd is disapointing. Nothing bad, just not that good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here