Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZZQ - Richmond VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZZQ - Richmond VA

I've been hearing about this place for some time. They have a food truck and on Saturdays they sell meat out of a local brewery. It's advertised as "Texas craft BBQ". The last Sat of each month they add beef ribs to the menu that includes brisket, homemade sausages, pork ribs, and pulled pork. They open at noon and close when they sell out. I've also heard that there is normally a line, so I got there at 11:30 this morning. I wanted to get a bit of everything, but my wife said the refrigerator was already full of smoked meats, so I settled for 1 2 lb + rib. It's on the stove in a hot bath until dinner time....

They did give away a few samples of brisket and that was mighty good. And I did sneak a small sample off the rib before it went swimming - that was super. If the meal is as good as the sample, I will be going back.

Nice rounded menu - just need some burnt ends!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      They were cutting off the ends of the briskets and calling them burnt ends. And they gave them out as samples - very tasty, but no sauce and not returned to the smoker a second time either.

• JonnyB
      JonnyB commented
      Editing a comment
      If they are doing it Texas style, they won't have burnt ends. At least not KC style. The ends are usually just trimmed off and given out as samples. I love burnt ends, but it's just not a Texas thing, traditionally.

Gonna have to check it out.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      It's worth the trip but remember that the ribs are only on the last Sat of the month.

RonB You need a bigger fridge.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Not This time - no leftovers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9384.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	354083 Picture PLEASE! Love me some rib!

Comment

Well, I did take one crappy shot of the rib with my phone. I sent it to a friend to torment him. And I did take a shot at ZZQ too.

Name:	20170729_125944[1].jpg
Views:	339
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	354124

Name:	20170729_113728[1].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	354125

Comment

I can smell the smoke thru the phone!

Comment

Great heads up. Thanks! I look forward to trying it when their brick and mortar opens up. Between work and BBQ judging, I pass through RVA pretty regularly.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me know and I might be able to meet up with you.

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB sounds great! Thanks.

Very cool. When I'm back in RVA, I'll see if I can stop by. The smoker they use looks legit.

Comment

• Harry
            Harry commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoker's name is "Margo". I went to law school with a "Margo". They not the same. (smile)

Looks and sounds like i need to make a "business" trip to RVA soon!

Comment

scottranda and BigCountryQ - Please remember that they are open only on Saturdays until they get their brick and mortar location open, and they just broke ground for that. And beef ribs are only on the last Sat of each month while at their current location. Let me know if you are going and I might be able to join you.

Comment

Good find!

Comment

ZZQ's brick and mortar has been open for a few months.

Went there for the second time Sunday, we took my dad there for Father's Day. We got Brisket, Ribs, and my mom got the Prime Rib they had on special. Everything was amazing. They also had 40 oz. Dry-Aged Tomahawk steaks on special also, they looked amazing.

The main menu consists of Brisket, Pork Ribs, Pulled Pork and Sausage. All sold by the pound, the brisket and ribs are sliced to order, as was the Prime Rib. I believe they have pastrami on Friday's.

The hours are from 11am until sold out except for Friday and Saturday where they are open until 10PM, they have a full bar so i guess that is why they stay open on the weekend. Not sure if they run out during the week.

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	518411

Comment

• clb239
                  clb239 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If the beef ribs are as good as the pork ribs then they will be worth it...

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I follow them on Instagram, they look like the real deal. Good ol real wood BBQ is catching on like wildfire!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee - they took the whole team to TX for two weeks to sample TX BBQ. That was to set the standards.

ZZQ's brick & mortar is fairly near The Diamond (i.e., baseball venue for The Flying Squirrels, a Double A affiliate of SF Giants IIRC) on the North end of Richmond just off I-95. 3201 W. Moore St. www.zzqrva,com Good website BTW. Use The Diamond as a landmark, and head WEST. Southside of W. Moore just west of N. Highpoint Ave.

In addition to excellent Texas-style brisket (moist, firm, but not really "crispy" bark or burnt ends) which comes from the holding bin wrapped in nice butcher paper, it offers pulled pork and spicy sausage and spare ribs, and on some days offers smoked turkey, beef ribs, and tri-tip. Classic but typical sides. The pics on the website are just like what I saw.

Unlike a couple other BBQ places in Richmond we hit when we are down there, ZZQ has a full bar with stools and has a decent (for Virginia which requires restaurants to buy from the State ABC list) bourbon selection and an even better tequila list. I had a Lone Star long neck (which I've missed since stationed at Ft. Hood) but forgot to look at the rest of the beer list.

About the only shortcoming (if one can call it that) is that most of the sides have hot peppers mixed in. WE ARE NOT ALL MILLENNIALS, AND WE, TOO, HAVE MONEY!!! The potato salad is "safe" says my wife, and I loved it. My Ranger Buddy (i.e., my partner in the Army Ranger School) was from the Hill Country in Texas and schooled me on sausage with brisket long before Texas brisket became a "thing". I thought the sausage was overspiced and underjuicy for me BUT well within the range of "typical;" I've had some better but a whole heck of a lot worse.

One more comment - my wife hates sticky tables (while in grad school, we worked in a bar - me in the kitchen, her waiting tables). She declared ZZQ's tables "great" not just adequate.

We have absolutely no connection with ZZQ other than being really happy we went there.

Comment

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fantastic write up!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here