Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Bones

I got my first taste of a BBQ chain ie Smokey Bones. I came over to Roanoke Va for a meeting with customers.

Who was I to tell them No.
    Attached Files

Wow. The only thing I don't see is the kitchen sink.
    I'm sure you did not go home hungry. Sweeeeeet.

Comment

What did you think?

I've been consistently disappointed with their BBQ. They're not a bad place to eat, still good food of course but they're very entry-level BBQ-wise if you ask me. I'm not trying to be a snob. They are definitely more bbq than ordering BBQ at Applebees or Ruby Tuesday though...I think. I like their loaded cheese fries though!

Comment

Loos good, but if I ever get back to Roanoke, I'm goin' to The New Yorker Deli.

Comment

Any chain restaurant's quality is highly dependent on local management. The one across the street from where I work is pretty decent at ribs, pork, and chicken, not so good at brisket, and the sides are reasonably tasty. We've eaten at other SBs when traveling and not been pleased.

Comment

• binarypaladin
            binarypaladin commented
            Editing a comment
            I gotta say, most chain BBQ places seem to do better sides than meats. Maybe it's just my experience in the southwest.

I have to agree on the entry level. The brisket I tried was good. Nice and tender, but lacking in flavor. The ribs literally fell off the bones. (A no, no) wings were ok.

My college roommate was a Memphis N May judge. So I been critical of the food I make and of restaurants.

Now if if I can just get more consistent in cooking BBQ.

Comment

We stopped going to the SB here in Woodbridge, VA. The service was poor, but I put up with it 'cause I wanted some BBQ. Of the four orders, two were under cooked (literally pink chicken), one was not cooked correctly, and the BBQ Ribs I ordered were floating in sauce. The 'house salad' rolled out still frozen. When I spoke with the manager, she apologized and asked if she could make the chicken dishes again. My initial response was 'no, we prefer to get sick when we eat out'. She looked at me puzzled, then said "Ok, I'll get them right out." About 10 minutes pass, and viola! Two chicken dishes, served the _exact_same_way_. When she came by asking about the replacements, I showed her. She literally shrugged her shoulders, and walked away saying nothing. The waitress brought the bill, and everything was still on there. I called the manager back, she came over and I said that I wasn't paying for two entrees that were undercooked. She said to me "I made you four but I am only charging you for two". The waitresses eyes got really large, and she slowly turned and walked away. I spent about 3 minutes, getting a bit louder with each passing second, describing to her the danger she and her cook staff are putting everyone by serving undercooked chicken. I explained that I had friends at the County (I do, but no one in food safety), and that I had already posted about it on Facebook. She apologized, said she'd take care of the bill, and asked us to leave. That is a bad situation, made worse by poor management, punctuated by a lack of concern. No thanks, we have Dixie Bones near by, a Famous Dave's across the street (haven't been there in years really), and now that I have this site to reference, I make stuff that blows them all away. (IMHO) So, no thanks Smokey Bones.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here