Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission BBQ, Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission BBQ, Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach

On a whim, I stopped here on the way up to the new Fresh Market to pick up a nice boneless pork butt for tomorrows cook on my JoeTisserie.

Parked the car and walked up the front door. Saw a big stack of wood by the entrance, I could not tell if that was for show or for BBQ, -- I sure didn’t smell any wood smoke. The wood was not all sun bleached like woodpile near my fire pit. In hindsight, I should have looked closer at the woodpile to see what kind of wood was stacked in that rack.

As I walked in, the place was not all that busy. The first thing I always try in a new place is the pulled pork sandwich, -- Carolina Style! Today, I also had a side of fries and a cold adult beverage to wash it all down with. The total was $15.38.

My order came out pretty quick, fast service! The restaurant was clean and the staff was friendly. The table was stocked with an assortment of sauces, a roll of paper towels, and the usual salt and pepper.

The sandwich was okay, it was not dry, but there wasn’t any hint or sent of smoke. Not that I could tell anyway.

The sandwich was piled high with pulled pork and it had a nice big scoop of slaw. No complaints! Next time I'll try to get a picture to upload.

I stuck with the vinegary looking sauce from the squeeze bottle assortment on the table. Overall, it wasn’t bad, I was hoping or looking for a sign that the food was made locally on site in some a smoker. I could not tell if that was the case or not.

Yep, I will go back for another round since I do get out in this neck of the woods every now and again. Could be that I just showed up at an off time.

Yelp is your friend. It is a smart phone app that gives you reviews of just about anything, including restaurants.

Comment

Thanks! I do look at Yelp, Google pops that up whenever I go into a new place to try. But, I still enjoy the experience of trying someplace new. Maybe get an idea or two of something I might want to try myself on my next cook.

Comment

I've found Yelp is just OK for helping find a good BBQ restaurant because many Yelpers don't know what is, and what is not, good barbecue. I've seen a lot of five star "Ribs fell off the bone and were covered thick with sauce" reviews.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry - I was less than clear It's best at finding places to avoid...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here