Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A memory from the past...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A memory from the past...

...triggered by reading a post in the Pit.

I was stationed in Norfolk VA while in the Navy in the early '70s. There was a local grocery chain there named Giant Open Air Market.

If you wanted a steak without spending too much, you could go to their meat counter and pick out a steak and take it to their grill. They would cook it for you and throw in a side of fries for the cost of the steak plus $0.50. 50 years later I have no idea whether or not the steaks were any good, and I may have still been eating steaks the way I was raised - well done.

Just thought I'd share...

This reminds me of being in college. Being that Auburn is a land grant university with a huge ag school we had access to meat, eggs, fish etc. We could get steak from the meat lab at cost, eggs for $0.25/dz and fresh water shrimp for $3/lbs. The meat lab wasn’t necessarily weird stuff going on in there, it was just a place where students learned the business of farming cattle, butchering being a component of that.

Didn’t know how good I had it.

Comment

I have no idea if it still is available, but just a few years ago you could go into the convenience store-cafe in Higgins, Texas and get a steak as RonB described. There was an open meat counter with individually wrapped steaks in it. You could pick your streak then they would grill it, add a baked potato and salad for $10.00 dollar plus the cost of the steak. We ate there fairly often on our way to or from lake Vincent in Okla.

Comment

Very cool.

Now, if you could report a memory from the FUTURE, that would really be something!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here