Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Jack's, Arlington, Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Jack's, Arlington, Virginia

This place opened in DEC 2015, and the Washington Post FOOD section had a really positive review in late January 2016. We went to lunch there today (30 March 2016). and were thrilled to find that the review UNDERstated how good the food is. Go to

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...5ce_story.html

for the full review; it's hard to find with the WashPost's "Search" function.

FOOD IMPRESSIONS - The positive review did not, in my opinion, capture how really good the food is. Brisket was, literally, melt in your mouth with great bark, wonderful smoke rim, and a not-too-sweet, LIGHTLY applied finishing sauce. The ribs rivaled any ribs I've had in Kansas City; want dry ribs? Wipe that little bit of sauce off. The chicken was not overdone or dry and was finished with a slightly sweeter sauce (molasses? I didn't ask). They get their chorizo sausage from a local sausage maker.

THE CREW - The review summarizes the BBQ experience of the staff and owners, and we expected TJ's would be good based on our visits to those BBQ places in WashDC. The chef, Matt Lang, (whom I spoke with) also has worked around town and according to the WashPost review won Food Network's "Best in Smoke" in 2011. My wife loved the sides, particularly a "mashed" cucumber salad that had just enough coolness to offset the spices. Matt Lang said they'd be adding a slightly milder sausage soon. He said he doesn't sleep near the smokers as much as he used to; his staff loads them about 10PM for the next day's lunch, and he comes in about 4AM to tend until done.

OTHER - They had about a dozen beers on tap, most of them regional, and another dozen by the bottle. Their wine selection fits (no kidding!!) with their meats, and they also have a nice selection of cocktails and bourbons available. As you can see from the picture I took of the exterior, it's not all flash with no flavor; the interior (as their website shows) is nicely done - tables are spread out and, I noticed, are on locking wheels which (I can tell you from working in a commercial kitchen once upon a time) makes it easy to keep the floor really clean.

We are already planning a return trip. AND, they have carry-out. 2761 Washington Blvd (at the corner of WashBlvd and Pershing Drive on the northeast corner), Arlington VA. Parking lot is behind that yellow curb.

www.txjacks.com

And, no, I have no connection with the place. I am just thrilled to know it is there whenever I need it. Click image for larger version

Name:	TXJacks032016.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	152541 .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harry; March 30, 2016, 02:12 PM. Reason: Dear mods - can you take off that huge overpic I somehow created? THX.

I understand Hill Country Market has a place in the DC area. Have you checked it out?

Comment

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, indeed; it's downtown near the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Some of the people associated with Texas Jack's came from HCM. That's a major reason we decided to check it out. HCM has a good (and deserved) reputation around the city. BUT, parking can be a pain.

Props to HCM, we took some guests there a few months ago. Thanks for the review of Texas Jack's - didn't know it was there. Will check it out. Is parking an issue?

Comment

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Parking at Texas Jack's is NO issue. In addition to a their own lot (holding maybe a dozen cars), there is plenty of NON-metered, on-street parking around it. Plus, there's a "loading zone" in front in case you called in an order for Carry-Out. They did this place right.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here