Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry's Smokehouse - Arlington, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry's Smokehouse - Arlington, VA

On business travel this week, decided to try out Harry’s Smokehouse in Pentagon City Mall, Arlington, VA. It was within walking distance of the hotel (18-Aug-2014). This place was in the mall, --so no real “hole in the wall” or smoky aroma and BBQ type character that I like when walking up to and entering BBQ restaurant.

Tried the hickory smoked Carolina pull pork, and the BBQ baked beans and two of the Port City IPA’s as they were on the happy hour price. The menu said that the portion size was 1/2 pound. That is about what I received. The Pulled Pork and baked beans entrée was $11.50, the IPA’s were a $3.00 happy hour price.

The staff was friendly and attentive. The food arrived quickly, along with the cold frosty and refreshing beverages.

The food was good, the pork had a hit of smoke flavor but no bark that I could see or taste, nor was it dry. The BBQ baked beans were also good, having some smaller bits of pork.

The table had four unlabeled plastic squeeze type bottles of sauces that did not look like they had ever been opened. They were pushed aside when we arrived at the table, so I really didn’t notice them until after I had finished.

I will probably go back for another visit if I cannot find another BBQ place to try, --will try the different sauces if I do go back.

How do you suppose restaurants get "hickory smoked" meat w/o bark? Electric low-temp smokers? There's a place in my area that advertises real BBQ and it tastes like oven baked pork. It's sad to me that this is what the masses consider BBQ to be. I even emailed them to tell them what I think of their advertising considering my experience in their store, and to ask what they use for a smoker...and they replied "it is smoked" and sent me a picture of their (electric indoor) smoker. They say 'some people do not like heavily smoked meats and we cater to all palates.' To me this was a cop out. It was good though, moist pulled pork usually is, but my mom can make some good pork sammies with her oven!
    Last edited by Huskee; August 19, 2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Sounds like my Masterbuilt Electric smoker. It produces some tasty food but it doesn't taste anywhere near as good as anything I've made on my other cookers. I bought it because it was on sale on QVC and I was helping a friend with a wedding rehearsal dinner. I was thinking that it would help me cook faster and all I had was my Brinkman Gourmet bullet and Brinkman cabinet. It was back when I wasn't into BBQ as much as I am now or it probably never would have happened. I'm thinking that if the element ever goes out I will figure out a way to convert it to charcoal. Or maybe a flower box......

Comment

I work around the corner from this place. I don't care for the "bbq" but the chicken and waffles are fantastic!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here