Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt Lake City, UT — R&R BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt Lake City, UT — R&R BBQ

I finally tried R&R BBQ in Salt Lake City. Soooo many times I passed it, but always went to another restaurant. I just hate being disappointed.

R&R was not bad, and better than what I thought. I ordered the 3 plate special (brisket, ribs, and sausage). The ribs were terrible. It was certainly a meaty rib, but there was hardly any flavor from the rub, nor smoke. The sausage was pretty good. I was eating it paying close attention to the taste and texture because I just bought a meat grinder (my sausage and grinder questions will be coming soon haha). So, yeah, sausage was pretty good.

The brisket: I ordered the burnt ends, but the girl taking my order said they were chopped burnt ends. I was confused, but at least I was still able to order the point (my favorite). So, yeah, they weren’t burnt ends, but merely the point chopped. Still very good! Well cooked, but a total misnomer. Good bark and tender!

Hushpuppies were OUTSTANDING, and the cole slaw was not bad. 2 beers to round it off.

Is R&R better than Sugarhouse BBQ which I posted about a few weeks ago? Yes, it is. Sugarhouse is more of a restaurant which serves BBQ, and R&R is more of a BBQ joint. The line at R&R was a constant 15-20 people long, with a constant in flow of customers, and customers leaving. I was the only person in Sugarhouse when I went (haha). The burnt ends at Sugarhouse really were burnt ends, and they were really good. But the chopped point at R&R was also really good, just not really burnt ends.

Ole Hickory smoker located in the restaurant. It seems like the default smoker for so many commercial bbq restaurants. Do you agree?

Ambience and menu
    Attached Files

Comment

Standing in line plus smoker shots
      Attached Files

Comment

My 3-meat plate
        Attached Files

Comment

Good write up Scott.

Comment

Thanks for making me hungry!

Comment

Nice writeup. It's weird, though. The ribs were terrible (I trust your opinion on that), but they are actually the best looking meat I see there.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                My idea of a not so good bbq place is when the cornbread is the best thing they have.

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Or the cornbread was THAT good and brisket was very good and sausage was close behind.

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Point taken though

Good write-up! Nothing worse than flavorless ribs.

There's a well known "bbq" diner near me that is popular because of the super-popular next door donut shop, and their pulled pork tastes like it was cooked in an oven with no seasoning. It's terrible by backyard bbq standards, but you're supposed to dump the sauce on it THEN call it bbq. Your description of the ribs reminded me of that.

Comment

Is that your order written on the paper the meat is served on? Any sausage questions just ask, I made some yesterday.

Comment

Memories from a trip to Utah (Provo) about 20 years ago: 1) Applebee's (yes, I used to eat there) was out of white wine. 2) The liquor store wasn't allowed to sell cork screws. 3) Billboards everywhere advertising "missionary tough" clothing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here