Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Golden Triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Golden Triangle

No I’m not referring to the Bermuda variety but the triangle made by the towns of Taylor, Elgin and Lexington Texas.

Had business in West Austin. With so many companies locating to Austin, developments are booming. But not in these quaint and still small town bergs.

Began at Louie Mueller’s in Taylor. Stuffed my face with fatty brisket and pork ribs. The brisket was devine, the ribs succulent.

Off next to Elgin to look at some property we’d like to develop into rentals. I checked into my hotel and headed for Westside Market. Gorged myself on lamb ribs and jalapeño cheese sausage. After a long belch, I managed a piece of chocolate chiffon pie. I’m laying here in my hotel bed hoping that the grand finale will not disappoint.

Thats right, Snows at 8 am to stand in line. More later, time for sleep 😴

I am very jealous at the moment...

Comment

California is pretty much a wasteland. At least around me.

NOT FAIR AT ALL!!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I’m pretty much wasted all the time.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        This is an outrage.
        I may not be on the butthole of the world but I can see it from here and there ain't no trifecta of BBQ joints I can assure you.
        ....sigh....

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        How true. For awhile a bunch of us were going around to various BBQ joints to sample their Que. Did not find one worth going back to. I'm sure there some good BBQ spots in California, but not near me.

I can just about guarantee you won't be disappointed in Snows.

Comment

Hopefully I'll be able to hit that trifecta before it, or I am gone.

Comment

Is Snow's open tomorrow? They were closed last Saturday when I was driving to Austin. BTW - Westside Market? Its Southside Market isn't it? Ate there last Saturday, was tempted by the lamb ribs but went with a brisket sandwich.

Edit: Just checked Snow's website, they are closed tomorrow. https://snowsbbq.com/
          Last edited by 58limited; January 15, 2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            No bbq on Saturday? Seriously?

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            The pitmaster, Tootsie, is 85 years old and COVID numbers have been going up. The owner decided not to risk it.

I always wanted to go hunting in the Golden Triangle of Texas but my checking account never allowed me to.

Comment

What about Southside Market? Pretty darn good brisket every time I've been there. Banana pudding was best ever.

Comment

I have a 3 letter word for you BBQ, another PBR. Sounds like fun.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Ordinarily I'd agree with PBR's but in Texas its SBB's (Shiner Bock Beers)

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                "😀

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                er LSB

Soon...

Comment

58limited First off I’m making you my travel agent. I wrote "West" instead of Southside Market, my bad. I was so wiped out when I wrote this post that I was somewhat incoherent. Probably bbq poisoning ​​​​​​.

So I woke up early, took a shower, grabbed a big cup of coffee and headed out for the 23 mile drive to Lexington. Mist was in the air, the sun begin to rise in the cool morning. Anticipation beginning to grow as coffee courses through my vines and began to wake me up, my dashboard computer shows me getting closer. I could smell the bbq in my mind.

So there I am in this tiny berg. I drive through the little town square so prevalent in East Texas towns. I’m feeling anticipation at this point, Carly Simon singing in my head.

So I round the corner on the side street Snow’s is located on and I’m not seeing a soul. Two cars parked out front and a ribbon stretched across the parking lot. My heart sank.

Yes I knew they HAD been closed and yes I did not check the website the night before, but earlier in the week there was no such notice. I pull up and talk to some folks in their cars and they were pissed. They had driven a considerable distance. I advised they head over to Taylor, where my journey began, and check out Louie Mueller’s. Quite frankly the bbq at Snows isn’t mystically THAT much better anyway. Of they went disgruntled.

Oh well, mark up another COVID disappointment. I understand their concern but they should just shut down instead of this week to week crap. It’s way off the beaten path and some amount of planning has to occur.

All in all it was a decent journey. The crown jewel of it was an obvious disappointment, but stuff happens. I wish at least I had gotten a tee shirt, instead I just got some photos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BABEB5CC-D1A5-4132-A04F-0F95948D84FD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	975094Click image for larger version  Name:	51D9136C-E525-43BB-808D-EE0ED0AB38FF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	975095Click image for larger version  Name:	7FE4AF18-84C0-4834-90E3-CD46DEF8D6CB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	975096
                Last edited by Troutman; January 16, 2021, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang dang disappointment, after alla that travelin... covid has really effed up life, as we'un's all know it...

At least ya got to gorge out at two other splendin landmark BBQ places...

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If anyone asks if you've ever been to Snow's you can still say yes.

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Drag, sounds like Memphis Fire in Winona used to make a fantastic BBQ breakfast Sunday mornings and at some point un be knowst to me stopped.
                  Drove down on Sunday morning....so when you said your heart sank....Dude, I get it.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here