Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1701 BBQ - Beaumont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1701 BBQ - Beaumont

Today I tried out the newest BBQ joint in SE Texas: 1701 BBQ. They are located at 1701 Calder, Beaumont, Texas. As you can see they used their address for their name. They have been open for 10-14 days, M-F only, and they have had lines around the building from the git-go. They started as a food truck a few years back - I have had their fare before and even commented that they needed to open a fixed location restaurant. I have heard good things about their current operation and talked with their Pitmaster D-Ray last week when he came to the local brew pub to hang out for awhile. He recommended the turkey breast and several other people I talked with said the same.

They open at 11am. I arrived at 12:20 and they were out of pulled pork and turkey breast (I have never seen a BBQ joint run out of turkey breast before running out of the other meats). By the time I got into the building they were out of pork ribs and links (I was only three people away from entering the building when I got in line). I ordered brisket and a beef rib - that is all they had - and by the time I finished checking out they were out of brisket.

I sat down to try this new found BBQ ambrosia, and ambrosia it is. The beef rib the best I've ever had. I usually can't finish a whole beef rib since it is so rich and fatty but I ate this one in 3 minutes. The brisket was moist, tender, 1/8 -1/4" smoke ring, good bark, and very tasty. I had to stop myself from eating all 1/2 lb of it (remember - I ate a whole beef rib) but it was soooo good. The only sides I got were brisket beans - yum - and a Shiner Bock. They came by the tables and gave out free Karbach Crawford Bock to those of us still eating after they ran out of food.

I went to the local brew pub at 1:45pm and one of my friends was there - he had left 1701 just before I arrived and he had some pork ribs so I got to try them as well : Perfect, not fall off the bone but good and tender with an easy bite to pull the meat off the bone. Very moist with a great flavor (dry rub, no sauce).

All in all, very comparable to the good Central Texas BBQ joints (but I only have to drive 20 miles instead of 150 miles). I'm very happy to have this new brick and mortar BBQ restaurant in town, especially since our local BBQ scene is lacking - Dickie's is considered one of the better places around here.

Dickies, yea they should be run out of the State. Really good craft bbq is popping up all over the place. Small strip center joint by me that had subpar bbq finally closed last year. New pitmaster opens it back up with lines around the block.

I’m heading over to Beaumont on business next month, I’m gonna check this place out. Thanks for posting!!

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      They (Dickies) should be stomped out of existence!

Mmmm, Shiner Bock, great beer.
    Neat write up, don't know if I'll ever get that far south in Texas, families in Dallas, but if I do will definitely look this place up.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on hitting Pauls Rib Shack next time I'm in Mississippi, so a slight detour to Beaumont shouldn't be out of the question.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - I'm glad you reminded me. My son is driving through, en-route to his in-laws at Christmas. I just texted him, telling that he has to stop in there for me. He is my BBQ restaurant guru.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - Since I'll already be as deep into banjo land as I can get, a 650 mile side trip for BBQ seems perfectly reasonable to me. Paul's for lunch, a night in Beaumont, 1701 right at opening so hopefully they aren't out of turkey.Then head East, and if Paul's was good, hit it again for road snacks. Easy peasy. The next morning back to French Kiss for breakfast cake.
        Last edited by willxfmr; December 11, 2020, 03:51 AM.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Well hell, if that's the case willxfmr, just keep going west to Houston, then further onto a little old town called Lockhart which brings you into Austin, then east again over to to Taylor then down to Elgin, then and only then can you backtrack to LA. That way you make the grand tour of Texas Hill Country BBQ

Let me make a correction/clarification: The beef rib is not the giant Dino rib you find in Central Texas, 1701 cooks a smaller short rib slab. The reason is: Dino ribs are so rich and fatty that most people can't eat an entire one. Also Dino ribs in Central Texas sell for $35+/lb, our area probably won't support that pricing so they went with the smaller ribs which they charge $15 each for. Be that as it may, the beef rib at 1701 BBQ is wonderful!
      Last edited by 58limited; January 16, 2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Only open 3 hours a day (or until sell out). Must be really good!

Comment

Another update: I was running errands in Beaumont this past Thursday and swung by to see if they had anything left.They had brisket, short ribs, and pulled pork so I got a pulled pork sandwich. I wish I had remembered to take a picture of it, it was huge. Regular hamburger bun with what looked to be a pound of pulled pork on it (that's a guess, don't hold them to that). They blend the juices that drip off while cooking back into the pork when they pull it, plus they use a typical Central Texas BBQ sauce that has a little vinegar, drippings, etc. so the sandwich was like having a pulled pork Sloppy Joe. I had to use a fork to eat what had fallen onto the plate but Damn! it was good.

I got to hang out with them tonight at the local brew pub. I cooked pork belly burnt ends to bring to the brewery and we talked shop a bit. They are still tweaking everything and will be introducing Boudain soon. Based on my (and others) feedback they have upped the salt on the brisket and, since they trim the briskets the day before cooking them, I suggested that they play around with dry brining.

They also gave me a quart tub of smoked beef tallow, the smoke is pretty strong but I think I can find a few uses for it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here