Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rip Alice's Tall Texan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip Alice's Tall Texan

The best dive bar in Houston announced its closing.
    Been in business 36 years.
    Miss Alice is in her late 80s and drinks gin like a fish.

It's the kind of place that you could still get a draft beer for $1.25 and they had an amazing juke box.

And I could walk there......

But the covid shut down got them.

Such a shame.
    Yet the big chains still seem to be immune.

Comment

I’ll send $$$$
      get a credit for a beer or 2 if I ever get there
      A sin to let the real institutions of culture and time wither away
      remember that the old becomes the new

Comment

I think it's beyond that. They're selling the remainder of their beer stock to go, and giving away their beer mugs and chalices.

I ran up there, and 50 people were in line ahead of me. Already out of glassware.

My buddy called to try to buy their juke box. It's already sold.

Last year, a lot of the old places with character in my neighborhood were being run out by fancy new bars.
        Now covid is crushing them.

I used to see Miss Alice at one of the other neighborhood spots pretty regularly. She didn't drink at her own bar.
        Maybe it'll stay open and I can buy her a round.

Comment

I’m old in years but young at heart,,,,,
          really bothers me that there’s a disposable ( cancel) mind set in today’s society
          nothin’ better than haven’ a beer and good music and if it’s a real good dive bar ,,,, a pickled egg or turkey gizzard
          life is good

Comment

The majority of the old men’s rooms and taverns have gone the way of the dodo bird up here too
            Some place where you could go drink iced cold draft beer eat pickled eggs and watch a ball game.
            And not go broke doing it.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are the exact places I started drinking at back in the 70's.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too, drank there then ended up slinging beer beer at the Islington House in Toronto.
              What a dump, termites holding hands kept it up, right stunk of stale beer and butts and the vets that made it they're home .Cheese and onion samages, big old kosher dills....
              Boy I miss those old dumps

This doesnt really have anything to do with a disposable mind set etc. It's the independent places that rely on people coming in and sitting down are screwed with COVID. Mostly they can't survive on take out, especially bars.

Chains etc are better setup to deal with this since they've got resources Indies don't and there aren't that many chains that are bars.

The hell of it is that who really cares about chain places? All of the cool stories we've all got are from places like this.
            Last edited by rickgregory; July 31, 2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

With a tear in my eye, I raise my glass to all the Miss Alice’s of the world ....

Comment

I am sad and I live a thousand miles away. Bummer

Comment

Sad to see it go..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here