Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Hobos go to Snow's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Hobos go to Snow's

On a recent Saturday, two of my foodie buddies and I piled into a car and took off from Victoria to Lexington (Texas, that is) to visit Snow's BBQ. We were not disappointed. It was a beautiful South Texas autumn day. The food was great, as were the people. Tootsie and Kerry, the pitmasters, must be the most patient people in the world to be so nice about accommodating every Tom, Dick, and Harry who asks for pictures. Please ignore the date stamp on these pictures. I had to change the batteries in my digital camera, which you can see me doing in one of the pit area shots, and I didn't want to stop and reset the date.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow's1.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	780803

Name:	Dining & Pit Area.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	780804

Name:	Pit Area2.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	780805

Name:	Kerry.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	780806

Name:	Tootsie&Kerry2.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	780807

The queen and three jokers:

Name:	Queen and 3 Jokers.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	780808

Name:	3Hobos1.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	780809

Name:	Snow's Sign.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	780810

What a great day!! We're already talking about going back.

Looks at an awesome trip! Great pictures!

Comment

That is definitely a place on my list. Will need to make a point to schedule a work trip to Austin that will give me a chance to go there sometime soon.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Are you in the striped white overshirt with the black Mission shirt underneath?

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. The T-Shirt is for the San Antonio Missions Texas league baseball team.

Now that is a great trip! Thanks for the photos too.

Comment

And I see you couldn't hold off eating long enough to get food pictures before your trays were empty...

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Another trio (nice folks from Ft. Worth) were kind enough to share the table with us. So, it was a little awkward to take pictures until after they had left (and we had finished gobbling down our food).

going down to college station to visit in laws, and they are closed this saturday. go figure. double the punishment.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Bummer

Another bucket list destination

Comment

Damn dude, why didn't you give me a call !! I love that place and Tootsie is the real deal !!!!

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry about the oversight. Yes, she is a very classy lady, definitely a people person..

That looks like a great time. I hope to make it there early next year. Our son is in the process of buying a house in Austin, and wants us to come and help set it up. I told him that I wanted to go to Snow's if we are there on a Saturday. He said he was ready to go.

So how were the lines? A little more detail please.

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              We got there around 9:30, and there was almost no line. Their chicken is apparently a hot item right now and was sold out. Otherwise, there was pork shoulder, brisket, and pork ribs. Beans and bread on a side table were free. Other sides, such as potato salad, were for sale. One of my friends had banana pudding, which he said was good. I had a sliced pork sandwich on site and took home brisket and ribs. All of it was great. One of the servers said that her personal favorite was the pork.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanx.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              You bet. They also had sausage, both mild and hot. I took one link of each home and didn't reheat it for a couple of days. It was fine but not as good as others I have had, perhaps because it wasn't fresh. We're blessed with a surfeit of good sausages available in south and central Texas because of all the descendants of Germans and other eastern Europeans who settled here in previous centuries. My personal favorite brand is Maeker's.
              Last edited by gcdmd; January 5, 2020, 04:59 AM.

Looks great, Doc!
            Wish I'da been in th vicinity, I can pull off th Hobo look, an appetite lol
            Sry I missed yer phone call; I git bombed with bs calls all day long, so I wait til convenient, look at em, an categorize...

No wonder ya keep that piece o artwork as yer avatar; ya jus didn't wanna make us all feel bad, bein's yer such a handsome feller!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 19, 2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Bones. I'll try to get ahold of you again later. I understand about the bs calls. I'm glad you're OK. BTW, are you enjoying the warm spell up there? At one point today or yesterday we were colder than you were.

gcdmd are you Tom, Dick, or Harry? Nice pics!

Comment

I love Snow's. And yes, Kerry and Tootsie are very nice patient people. I like going this time of year - usually a short (or no) line. In the spring and summer at 9:30am there will be at least 200 in line. Their brisket and ribs are always great but I like the pork steak. I'm not sure that any other BBQ place that I have been to makes a pork steak like this: basically a bone-in pork butt cut into 2" thick steaks. I have since made it at home using TexJoy steak seasoning and it tastes similar to Snow's.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Would you consider sharing your cooking method for the pork steak?

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure. Snow's cooks them on the metal pits shown in your picture #4 - the one showing Kerry opening the lid and the gentleman in the green coat. They are about 2 1/2 feet above the coals.

I have the grocery store cut the pork butt for me. I season with TexJoy steak seasoning. I grill the steaks slowly over charcoal in my kamado at least a foot above the coals until done - about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. You can baste with butter and beer to keep moist if you need to and flip them a couple of times.
                Last edited by 58limited; December 20, 2019, 02:44 PM.

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't really use a set temperature to cook these (I just look at the coals themselves) but the temp is probably about 300* at the cooking grate

Wow very cool! This is for sure on my destination list! Legendary pit masters, food and location.

Comment

Looks like you had a great time with friends gcdmd . Thanks for the Fun Post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here