Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Antonio Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Antonio Recommendations?

In a few weeks we’ll visit for several nights. Plan to stay on the Riverwalk, but also more than happy to venture elsewhere in the city. We will be doing pre-trip internet research, but if you have a couple of Must-Do and/or Don’t-Waste-Your-Time recommendations (activities, attractions, dining, etc.) we’d appreciate your input.

You’re gong to enjoy your trip here if the weather cools down a bit. I would put the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park on your must do list. The Institute of Texan Cultures, in Hemisfair Park, is an absolute revelation. Of course there is the Tower of the America’s nearby, may be a fun stop but I wouldn’t bother with the restaurant atop it.

The Briscoe Museum of Western Art (downtown) is high on my list, and different. (We do have other good museums, the Macnay for art, the Witte for science/history, etc.) Of course there is the Riverwalk, obligatory for one stop, but touristy. Nearby is Mi Tierra Mexican Cantina and Bakery, a very tourist but fun spot in the Mercado area downtown. Also, nearby is the historic La Villita area with small shops and a unique vibe.

There are about a thousand also-ran Tex Mex restaurants here, some good, others meh. Better Mexican food is available here in spots—I would suggest Rosario’s (downtown and north side) for a more refined version.

Of course there is bbq everywhere, some very good. You might look into 2M Barbecue, Two Bros. BBQ, The Smoke Shack, but my personal fave is The Barbecue Station. If you can venture up to Austin, there are other welll-publicized options for Q. My absolute favorite, and distinctive, is Valentina’s for true Tex-Mex barbecue. Brisket tacos to die for.

Other higher end restaurants might include Biga on the Banks, Restaurant Gwendolyn, Feast, etc.

Sorry for for the long-windedness🤣. Hope this is helpful, but there is a lot here and this is just an impromptu list.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I second all of this. Especially Mi Tierra, La Villita, and the Missions.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give a third for Mi Tierra

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Much thanks - several of your suggestions are things I had not yet seen!

We were there for one day several years ago. The Alamo was at the top of our list, but we spent more time at The Riverwalk. That was very enjoyable, but the restaurants seemed a bit pricey. If we ever go back, I'd prefer to eat somewhere else.

Comment

The one time I went to San Antonio, my friends from Austin took us to the Alamo (very interesting); the riverwalk (kind of meh) and then walked a bit downtown.

I really enjoyed walking around and looking at all the old buildings that are in downtown; maybe part of that is me being from the Oregon, where towns that built stone buildings (especially of that size) back then are few and far between.

Comment

On the northeast side of San Antonio is the town of New Braunfels. There is an area there called Gruene. It's a beautiful historic area with several restaurants. The one we like is the Grist Mill, it's built in an old mill. You can enjoy your meal and watch the old water wheel turn. There's also Gruene Hall one of the states most loved music halls. It's worth checking to see who's playing there when you plan your trip.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          The Grist Mill is awesome. They have great Sangria and I highly recommend the Polish Wedding Sausage.

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree. Blacks BBQ also brings food over from their main restaurant to one in New Braunfels (right next to Gruene). It was very good.

Gentle reminder, "Off Topic" is for anything off the topic of food, BBQ, restaurants, cooking , cookers, etc. I've moved this to BBQ Restaurants > Texas.

Comment

• mstruth
          mstruth commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry - I was equally interested in non-food suggestions. Thanks.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          mstruth No sorry necessary, and gotcha. Had to move it to where it would best fit though.

Love San Antonio though its been 10 years or so since I was there last.
        My nephew married a girl from SA, her parents have since moved to New Braunfels.
        The Riverwalk is outstanding, the Alamo was very moving place to visit even though it took hours to find.
        We also stopped at Mom n Pop corner eateries that were fantastic too.
        There was a market downtown we went to also that was fun sadly I can't remember where it was, I wasn't driving....

Comment

Go up to Leon Springs and visit the original Rudy's BBQ for some excellent brisket.

Comment

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            And if you're at Rudy's be sure to get the creamed corn for a side!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here