Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The True Truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The True Truth

As terrible as my experience with Corky's was (which I've re-named Pucky's), today's lunch was phenomenal. In a town about 60 miles northwest of Houston called Brenham (best known as the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream) is a bbq joint just known as;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truth 07.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	684179

They opened up a new location here in Htown down on Washington Street in the Heights area sometime last year. Hadn't had a chance to check them out until today. Wow, no wonder they continue to make the top 10 best barbeque restaurants in Texas year after year....it's the real deal, that's the TRUTH !!!!

You get the idea that it's good when you see the lines....

Name:	Truth 02.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	684181

Name:	Truth 03.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	684180

...you get another inkling when you see the big, honkin' pits.....

Name:	Truth 05.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	684184

Name:	Truth 01.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	684183

....then begin drooling as you near the serving line....

Name:	Truth 04.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	684182

....but after the long line, and the anticipation, you're rewarded with the true TRUTH, the food itself....

Name:	Truth 06.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	684185

....incredible brisket...here's the money shot.....

Name:	Truth 08.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	684186

...I eat it with a little plastic fork, it just melted in my mouth. Yup I can not lie, if you get the chance, in an already crowded and ever growing Houston bbq scene, you just gotta know the TRUTH !!!!!

I see the menu is accompanied by instructions ("EAT"), as if you needed any encouragement.

Comment

I'm retiring in three years. Then it's me, the wife and our hound Boudreaux on the open road in an RV. I'm compiling a wish lish of places to visit based on food.

This place just made the top 10.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I am trying to do it next year. Got the rv, ready to go!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers I travel a lot for my job. And I mean A LOT. I put 100k miles on a pickup in a year. And I fly as often as a drive. O_o

The point being, I've been to 28 states...and try to find great food in every one. LOL
        I've even talked to friends about doing what you're gearing up for. Not retiring yet...but going on a culinary holiday. I have no problem driving 100 miles for lunch, so a multi-day/week food adventure sounds great.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog that’s a lot of miles. I used to do power plant construction so I traveled a lot too. But I was a youngster and not as into food. Now I do the same, look for good food whoever I go.

That's like right downtown isn't it..? Generally when I'm heading through Houston...it's a mad rush to get to one side or the other...or heading to The Woodlands or something. And I've spent more days in Channelview than I'd care to ponder. LOL

Added this to my list of places to stop when I have time to stop. Looks great.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, just follow Washington Ave out of downtown. When you get to Heights Blvd it’s on the southwest corner. Maybe 3-4 miles.

A BBQ recommendation by a Troutman, hmmmm, somethin fishy bout that......may need another reference
      driving through Amarillo in 3 weeks, any good Q there?

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Troutman , I’ve been everywhere man!
        Starting over.....
        Getting speckled trout under the lights lately, hopefully no kin of yours!

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Try Tyler's BBQ in Amarillo. It's at 3301 Olsen Ave. Its very good. Trip adviser gave it 4.5, for what that's worth. I've taken customers there and always been pleased with the food.

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        You want to go to the Big Texan for steak!

Great now I'm hungry for some brisket and ribs and it's only 6am.

Comment

smokenoob If you go to Amarillo, try Tyler's BBQ. Heard many great things about them from Daniel Vaughn. There's 3 or 4 really good up and coming joints between Amarillo and Lubbock.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks JonnyB

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 been there several times, it's good!

Great review. Truth has the best brisket I’ve ever had.

Comment

The problem I live in NW Oregon.
          At least we have PBR here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here