Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin’s

In Austin taking a course with my son. My wife decided to travel with us. She was willing to go to Franklin’s to get us an early supper (standing in line for 4 hours - she got some serious people watching in). Finished class and got to have 2.5 lbs of brisket and some
    of their sausage. Served with some pickles and onions. It is the BEST brisket I’ve ever eaten. Period. Full stop. I’m still a fan of Arthur Bryant’s (I went there when he was still alive), however, this brisket was spectacular.

If y’all are ever in Austin I’d recommend this place without reservation or hesitation. Their pinto beans were spot on too.

As an aside Aaron Franklin teamed up with another chef in Austin and created a new restaurant called Loro. Asian flavors meets Texas BBQ. Deliciousness. Sit at the bar if you can. The corn fritters were spectacular as was the brisket, pork belly, and flank steak.

Sweaty
    Attached Files

I'm not sure I would wait in line 4 hours for anything. Your wife is to be commended.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      It was worth it. I’d wait four hours for it. She reports many were making a morning of it waiting in line.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, good food is great, but there's always some really good options around, especially in a "food town" like Austin. No way I'ma wait 4 hours in a line to eat someone else's brisket. Glad you guys enjoyed it, though!

• leggguy
      leggguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Was "The Who" playing a set inside? LOL. Sounds fantastic!

Franklin's is worth the trip at least once, but I don't think I would stand in that line again.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I suspect if we go again in the future I’ll be the one standing in line! 😃

There is a place outside of town (Austin) called the Salt Lick, or something close to that. I'd like to go there. Maybe I could pay someone to wait in line for me at Franklin's. Maybe Waitr?

Comment

• jecucolo
      jecucolo commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple of years back an enterprising youth had a business standing in line at Franklins. He was very busy and othe people I think began coping him. Eventually Mr Franklin put a stop to it. Became quite a controversy.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I recommend the Salt Lick in Driftwood. This time of year is the best time to go, with the weather being decent and the wild flowers in bloom. Google "Salt Lick," and you'll find a ton of videos. The visual experience is half the fun of going there.

I loved it when I went. Waiting was fun. A friend and I just sat there with a cooler of beer to pass the time. The brisket was out of this world. I tried all the meats and the turkey was my second favorite.

if you go be sure to ask for a tour of the pit room. I met Aaron Franklin while I was checking out the pits. If you want a full write up I did one here: http://completecarnivore.com/a-trip-...klin-barbecue/

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      My bride said many were of your same mindset on the wait.

Franklin's was on my bucket list until a buddy of mine took one bite of my brisket and proclaimed loudly "My Gawd, this is as good as Franklin's!" I'll still give it a go if I ever get to Austin, maybe I can offer Aaron some advice. Hint: use Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 9, 2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

So, I'm just wondering what could make brisket so special. What is it?... the texture, the juiciness, the seasoning, the smoke flavor, the temperature, the bark, the way it is cut. If you had to choose one item that sets it apart, that really stands out, what would it be. I really haven't eaten brisket more than maybe a dozen times in my life, so have no expertise. I had it once at the Dallas airport and thought it was AWFUL. I had a brisket sandwich yesterday for lunch at our local Cartwright's deli (a very good meat market deli here in Grants Pass OR); It was tender, very nice smoke flavor, nice bark, and flavorful, though I thought it to be kinda dry and had to put BBQ sauce on it, then very good.
      There definitely would have to be something extraordinary about it for me to stand even two hours in line.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a combination of the tenderness, juiciness, and bark working together. Extraordinarily flavorful with the beef flavor being the star of the show.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. It was the overall package.

Cool post, congrats on getting to eat some Franklin's! I hate lines, probably more than the avg person, but I might just do it there once to say I've had it. I hate to sound conceited but I've made some briskets that I cant imagine being any better. Would be interesting to taste his.

Comment

Definitely worth the wait - once or twice. Now we have a team lunch every couple of months or so - pre-order (there's like a two month wait for a take out order), and have a junior engineer run up to Franklin's and pick it up and come back to the office. There are a few perks to living in the Austin area, and I'll place BBQ in the top 3. Unfortunately, we have way too many people moving here faster than the infrastructure can handle, so those lines are getting longer and longer, not just at Franklin's, but on I35 or basically any road you drive on south of Georgetown once it hits 4:00 pm on a weekday or 11 am on the weekend.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          The traffic is something else.

I read his book and it was a great read. Still not so sure about being in line that long though.

Comment

• BRic
          BRic commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the book too and I agree with you , An excellent book to read . I think I
          would be willing to stand in line , I hear it is a long wait .

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          It is worth it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here