Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed back to Austin - where to eat next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed back to Austin - where to eat next?

We are going to visit our son and his girl friend in a few weeks. First time there we went to Franklin BBQ. Next trip we went to LA BBQ. Where should we go next? We would prefer to stay in the Austin area, but I might be able to get them to travel a bit. Snow's, (which is where I really want to go), is out because we won't be there on a Sat., and I'm not sure I could get them to go that far anyway...

As a bonus, a good Mexican or Tex-Mex recommendation would be appreciated, although our son has taken us to two solid joint's, (can't remember wither's name).

Two excellent choices, go to Taylor and Louie Mueller’s or make the trek down to Lockhart where it’s the Disneyland of bbq.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      LM is my favorite in the world. Gotta get the beef ribs!

I have heard great things about Valentina's Tex Mex Barbecue.

Micklethwait's Craft Meat is solid. Not quite to the level of Franklin or La Barbecue but still good. I want to try their lamb someday as I hear that is excellent.

Comment

Torchy’s Taco is excellent tacos. Or travel to San Antonio just 60 miles south 35 and Rosario’s is excellent TexMex.
      Last edited by jecucolo; November 10, 2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Torchy’s!!!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Trailer park, extra trashy!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, you got it tweeter !!!

Stiles Switch http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/ is a favorite of mine. Though if you're after tacos I certainly endorse Torchy's.

Comment

This is a perfect time of year to go to The Salt Lick in Driftwood.

World-renowned Texas Barbecue from the beautiful Hill Country. Visit the original pit at the restaurant in Driftwood, TX, or buy our barbecue online and ship to your door anywhere in the lower 48.

I just noticed on their web site that the Driftwood location is cash only. That is new since I was last there. Apparently, the Round Rock location will still take plastic. You might want to call ahead on that.
        Last edited by gcdmd; November 10, 2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Ericm
          Ericm commented
          Editing a comment
          Though it’s cash only, they do have an ATM machine there.

Stop by at roundrock doughnuts for breakfast. The orignal round rocks are FANTASTIC! I also 2nd LM in Lockhart as a MUST GO. Torcheys is great, had them for breakfast today. Also hit up Blacks if you can.
        Attached Files

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          A little further down the road from Lockhart is City Market in Luling. City Market has excellent BBQ, but if you go to Luling, make sure you're in the right store.

Three doors down from City Market there is a good old style non-chain café called Blake's that has good burgers.
          Last edited by gcdmd; November 10, 2018, 04:48 PM.

Cooper’s Old Time Pit BBQ is a winner - and conviently in downtown Austin.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Been there. It is good!

Hey Austin peeps,

going to visit Valentina’s BBQ on a Sunday - what should I expect in regards to wait times and lines? It’s fairly close to where I’m staying and looks good for what my family enjoys to eat - bbq and Mexican/tacos.

thanks for the help!

Comment

One of our faves. There’ll be a line but maybe not so much. Weather is going to be crappy. Line moves quickly and it’s covered. Plenty of indoor tables available.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Texas Larry - exactly what I was looking for. Yep, weather is crappy today. Outdoor wedding today….which I’m hearing is going to plan b and indoors hopefully! Ha.

Thanks again! Their menu looks great and love the homemade tortillas they feature on the website.

We got in late last night, and being a Friday night and after a 12 hour drive, we tried Chuy’s for dinner and it was pretty good! Hoping tomorrow is no rain so we can get outside a bit.

We enjoyed Terry Black’s a lot. It’s not one of the biggest names, and the brisket wasn’t as good as La Barbecue (which is out of this world), but the food was very good and the overall experience was great. The line was fast moving and wound through their pit area, which was fun.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	B77EDEDD-6F95-42A5-BE7D-02AE6D4EFC28.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1330415
          Last edited by Sid P; November 19, 2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Try Panhead John

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, I’m not gonna be much help, except I’ve heard nothing but good things about Valentina’s.

Valentina’s is solid and everyone isn’t open on Sunday so that’s probably your best bet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here