Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual Austin TX Trip - Lockhart BBQ Crawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual Austin TX Trip - Lockhart BBQ Crawl

Last week my wife and I did our annual trip to Austin TX to visit my Mom and brother.
    Always a great time. This year, we made the trip to Lockhart TX - Central Texas BBQ Capital of the Universe.

We originally planned to hit 4 places - Kreuz, Blacks, Smittys and Chisholm Trail.

We got into Lockhart a little later than expected - so had to reduce the visit this time to 2. Since my brother and his wife had already been to Kreuz, we skipped them and Chisholm for this visit. Its on the list for next year!

We did do Blacks and Smittys. We purchased a bunch of BBQ, ate a little at the restaurant then went to a local park to finish up.

All I can say is "wow, if you ever get a chance - go for it!!!"

The beef ribs at Blacks were monsters - incredibly juicy, rich and very filling. The brisket was quite moist and good flavor. The park ribs were great - lots of flavor. And, the sausage was spot on!

Downtown Lockhart

​ ​ ​ ​ ​

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA121572.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	580843

On to Smittys Market:

​ ​ ​ ​ ​

Smittys Market is a "unique' place. We entered on the door the leads to the pit (not the Market front door). Reviews are not kidding - the walls a black from all the years of smoking. You walk right by the fire and pit and order at a counter in front of this warm place. At Smittys we all agreed the portk ribs were great - think and juicy. The brisket was more dry than Blacks - but had a much deeper beef taste. The have beef clod - shoulder. Not bad - a little dry but rich beef taste. The sausage at Smittys was great - we ordered the Jalapeño sausage. Not too spicy - just right. The taste we incredible - the best sausage we had on our trip.

And, no trip to Austin would be complete without me going to Costco and scoring a nice USDA Prime Packer! I always travel with an insulated collapsible cooler to bring back to Rochester NY - where Costco only sells Choice flats.

For some odd reason, many of the cryovac briskets had that "chunk" of fat on the point. Looks like it's time to render it down into BeefLove.

I have the packer in my fridge doing it's aging thing. My plan us to cut most of the flat and do Troutman QVQ style.
    I will smoke the point/flat combo - along with some regular pork ribs and mgaretz Blasphemy Baby Back Ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_144554.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	580842

I'm jealous!

Comment

I love Black's!! Some of the best Q around!

Comment

Sounds like a great trip.

Comment

Yes its a great trip

Comment

Love the Central Texas Barbecue trips!!!

Comment

Yep CentralTexas and the Hill Country are special places indeed. Always worth the pilgrimage..

Comment

Blacks has opened a restaurant in New Braunfels. If your not from here it is about 30 minutes north of SaN Antonio on IH 35. I haven’t been though I pass it regularly. New Braunfels is a little town that you would fly by on the way to Austin and now it is apparently competing with Austin in growth. Crazy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here