Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Visit to Franklin Barbecue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Visit to Franklin Barbecue

This last Wednesday I was in Austin for a work trip. Nothing was on the agenda until 1:00 so why not go wait in line at Franklin Barbecue? This was my first trip to Franklin. Last year I went to La Barbecue and Mickelwaith so it was nice to have some other great restaurants to compare to.

Got to the line at 8:00 and we were about 12th in line. I was expecting a longer line than that but I am not complaining.

2 pounds of brisket, 1/2 pound of ribs, 2 sausage links, 1/4 pound turkey, and some pulled pork. $78.80 total. The food was amazing and definitely worth the wait. The brisket was pretty much food perfection. So moist and flavorful. The turkey was probably my second favorite. Wasn't really a fan of the pulled pork. I can't wait to go here again. I did have a ton of food left over but there was a fridge in the hotel so I got to eat for the next couple days. Even cold the brisket was amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180926_111929.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	572701

I got to tour the pits as well. Just ask and they will be more than accommodating. Got to say hi to Aaron Franklin while I was back there as well. Very friendly guy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180926_121115.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	572700

If you want a longer review with more pictures I wrote up my trip on my blog: http://completecarnivore.com/a-trip-...klin-barbecue/

Any questions? Anything you want to know about Franklin?

Cost me $200 to get out of there
    stopped and bought a cheap ice chest to get it to the InLaws
    dang good eats

my review on link

Last edited by Thom Emery; September 30, 2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have bought more if I was heading home from Austin but I had to go to Chicago for a couple days. Next time...

Nice! I'd love to go one day. I've actually cooked on one of the smokers Aaron built (he sold it to a place in Sweden). He was there with his pit master Braun, both were exceptionally friendly and helpful. If I'm going the visit to the "pit room" is a must. Thanks for sharing, and great photos!

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Is Braun the big guy with the beard? If so that is the guy I talked to in the pit room.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      No, he's an ordinary size guy (whatever that means), and no beard. At least not the time I met him, but those things can change :-)

It's always a treat to go to Franklin's, it's a pilgrimage you must take as a sort of religious experience. Glad you mentioned LaBarbecue and Mickelwaith, both outstanding as well. Now, my friend, you need to go to Lockhart and even consider Houston. We've got some joints down here that rival the best of the best.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely want to try Muellers and Snows at some point.

Nice trip. Definitely on my wish list

Comment

I love Franklin's Turkey and Pork Ribs. I think those are usually overlooked by most people. Their brisket is, well, amazing and what they are known for. I like that you gave the turkey a shot, good on you for branching out. Looks like the new pit room is a big improvement as well. I saw it before the fire and thought that it could use an update........good thing fate took care of that one.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Comment

Thanx for sharing. We went when visiting our son in Austin. Next time I want to go to Snows.

Locals will wait until 1:30 or 2 and walk right in. There is no guarantee they will have what you want, but it's possible.

Comment

I am reminded how blessed I am to live in the Austin area every time I read these threads - you can take stuff for granted so easily. And it is easy on your first visit to Franklin's to order a large $$ of food with tons being taken home. Years ago on my second visit to Franklin's, after waiting in line for hours, at the counter Aaron was taking the orders. I just asked for pork ribs - my favorite thing - and he asked, "no brisket?" I told him no sir, I prefer pork ribs today. He sliced a piece of brisket anyway and said on the house, you look like you need brisket too.

There are a ton of great bbq places here in addition to Franklin's, LaBarbecue and Mickelwaith as mentioned above, Stiles Switch is great too, with killer beef ribs.
          Last edited by AmosMoses01; October 1, 2018, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            What a gentleman he is, free slice of brisket!

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I originally didn't order any pork but they gave me some anyway.

Thanks!

Comment

I’m so jealous. I have to make it there! I have a friend I grew up with that lives in Austin now, I seriously need to visit him!

Comment

Jealous of you. Texas bbq is a bucket list trip for us. Great review.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Wow! Franklin Barbecue is on my bucket list. His book changed my (barbecue) life. So cool you got to check out the pits and meet the man.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here