Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointing Black's Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing Black's Visit

Been shuttling some in-laws back and forth between here in Houston and up to Austin. It's only about a 2 hour drive so on the way back I've been making a pilgrimage to some of the bbq hot spots in the Hill Country. This time we went through Lockhart on TX 183 headed back down to I10 and stopped at Black's. I hadn't been there in quite a few years; however the place has not changed one bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blacks 03.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	522560

Same old funky place. I like the cafeteria line style of this place, get your sides and desserts then have your meat cut. Opted for what we here in Texas call moist brisket (cut from the point/flat section) and noticed some big beefy ribs. Said I didn't want a huge one so he had a smaller one on the side so I said to just give me that one.....

Name:	blacks 05.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	522561

Name:	blacks 04.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	522562

.....brisket was typical central Texas awesomeness. Brisket is something it seems a lot of places across the State are doing really well, it's good to see the Old Gurad keeping up the good work!! But as far as the rib was concerned, well it was just plain awful. I took one bite and almost spit it out. It was like they took a whole shaker of salt and just dumped in on there for bark with the meat being dry and chewy as well. In my worst batch ever at home, I never came even close to screwing up a beef rib this badly. I brought it back and had the pitmaster taste a piece which he immediately spit out with apologies following. Was going to give me another but I opted for some sausage instead.

Now Black's has been around forever, and yes even the best get it wrong sometimes. The amount of meat they cook and the number of folks they serve is staggering so I just got a bad batch. I did like the sausage so I bought about $40 worth to bring home for the freezer.

Name:	blacks 02.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	522563

Name:	blacks 01.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	522564

"Take Me Back to Black's" is their theme and I'll re-visit them on another occasion, I still love the old Texas feel and the superb brisket and sausage. I don't want to discourage anyone from giving all the Lockhart bbq joints a try if you ever get the chance. I just had kind of a disappointing visit on this occasion.

Next will be the journey to Snow's and see this year's Pitmaster of the Year Tootsie Tomanetz. Never been there and they only serve on weekends so it's probably worse than a visit to Franklin's !!!

If the pitmaster did what you did, ya know there was a foul up somewhere. It sometimes happens, which is always why, in the bizz ya always have to have a watchful eye.

Comment

Wow shiff happens but to bad it happened to you at Blacks! I'm sure it's a anomaly and you could go back 100 times and not have it happen again.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, he did wind up with that 40lb bag of links as compensation!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, shiff happens!! Do you listen to a certain Sirius/XM talk radio commentator?

Had a great beef rib there (Black's) last July so I'm sure it's an anomaly. With regards to Snow's, I stood in line 2 1/2 hours last summer and it was worth every second. Got there by 0800 Saturday morning with 150 in front of us already. Got to visit with Ms. Tootsie as well as pitmaster Clay Cowgill and they both were friendly and open about talking craft. Hope you'll like it too.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I figured that much. Maybe I'll pitch a tent in the parking lot

Oh man, maybe I'll hit Kreutz then if I ever get to Lockhart! Snow's is my next bbq adventure...

Comment

At least he made it right!

Comment

Sorry about your Beef rib experience. I think the sausage is tops at Black’s. I like the clod at Smitty’s, and the brisket at Kruez. If it was only two hours I would make the trip, too.

Comment

BBQ joints are a Texas blessing for sure. There is a dearth of fine BBQ here in far northern California/southern OR. I guess I just need to keep on learning and trying.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; June 26, 2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll bet you're long since "beating the competition"!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF our local butcher shop does a nice job of smoking and cooking meat, but as far as restaurants I simply quit trying them around here. They all seem to think that slathering some sweet sauce on undercooked meat is bbq.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Like I said, CaptainMike - you're no doubt operating on a different level!

At our local BBQ joint they make home made BBQ potato chips with their BBQ rub. I got an order of them once for lunch and they were salty as sh*t.

I let them know and they figured out that the BBQ rub was mixed that morning and instead of sugar they measured in the same amount of salt into the rub.

The owner told me she had to scrap 12 racks of ribs they put in the smoker 30 minutes before I arrived since they were made with the same rub they used for my chips.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Oy! Well at least you saved them some embarrassment!

That is disappointing indeed. I had a great time at Blacks and the food was amazing. Like you said, sometimes you get a bad batch. That is too bad.

I love that you are willing to give them another shot. As it seems you have had some awesome bbq there is the past. Blacks was in my top two, when I went to the Austin/Lockhart area.

Comment

Unfortunately this stuff happens sometimes. I had a similar experience at 17th Street BBQ in Marion, IL. I had eaten their BBQ at the DuQuoin State Fair and it was awesome. I went to the Marion location and the combo plate tasted super salty. I got it down and didn't complain but was not impressed. The owner of the two locations Mr. Mike Mills, (the original location being in Murphysboro, IL) has more trophies than I even knew existed. I intend to go back to give them another chance one of these days.
              Last edited by Gunderich_1; June 27, 2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here