Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to Austin

We are going back to Austin to see our son. Last time I waited in line at Franklin BBQ. It was super good, but I want to try somewhere else this time. I had planned on going to Snow's, but they are only open on Saturdays, and we will not be there on a Saturday. We are particularly interested in beef ribs.

Would anyone like to offer any suggestions - I do have some ideas, but would like to hear what Pit Members have to say.

Louie Mueller Barbecue. enough said

Comment

Aren't there supposed to be a couple of great ones in Lockhart? But I can't attest personally:
      Lockhart

• Black’s Barbecue
      • Kreuz Market*

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        like both of those too.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        and Smitty's

• KBARD
        KBARD commented
        Editing a comment
        Smitty's

I’m sure you will find a great bbq joint around Austin. Be safe and have fun.

Comment

Do not miss LA BARBEQUE. Talk to Brendan Lamb, he is a great bird and he knows his smoke. He showed me around last time.

Black's in Lockhart is also a must eat and see. It is amazing stuff. The smell of that place is out of control.

Comment

Take a side trip to a little hole-in-the-wall town of Lexington just outside of Austin. There you will find a gem of a place called SNOW'S BBQ. Why Snow's? Well it was just voted THE top BBQ joint in the recent edition of Texas Monthly Magazine's Top 50 BBQ joints in Texas. Just ask for Miss Tootsie. If its #1 in Texas, you know it's got to be good.....

The List of Top 50 Barbecue Joints - Texas Monthly Magazine

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman - I never said I didn't want to go to Snow's. That was my first choice, but they are only open on Saturdays, and we won't be there on a Saturday.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea can you imagine weekend warriors producing the top rated cue in Texas?

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, with regard to Snow's, you have to get there super early. I've never been there myself, but I used to pass through Lexington a few times a year, and was told that by locals when I inquired.

How about Coopers in Llano? http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/index.html
          There's beef ribs in downtown austin at Iron Works too: https://ironworksbbq.com/

Comment

• JonnyB
            JonnyB commented
            Editing a comment
            I second the Iron Works recommendation. I had them last year and I was impressed. Good barbecue overall.

If you have time, a trip to Driftwood to The Salt Lick would be great this time of year.

Sit back with your favorite beverage and watch this video:

Comment

If I ever were to go to Austin I'd have to have a Mad Dog Margarita at the Texas Chili Parlor Bar.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              poorboy for life!

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              If Guy wasn't Texas' greatest treasure, he's up there in the top ten.

Any chance you could get down to Lockhart? Blacks, Kreuz, Smitty's. Also out of town a ways is the Salt Lick, which is in a very neat setting and has good Q as well.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I wanted to go to Snow's which is about an hour from my son, so anything within an hour of Austin is doable, but we will probably stay local.

Blacks wasn't very good last time I went there. I would recommend Kreuz or Smitty's before Blacks or Salt Lick. I would recommend La Barbeque or Louie Mueller's over any others.

Comment

Cooper's in Austin has some really good brisket. I ate there this summer, and it was some of the best restaurant Q I've had.

Get a taste of the best BBQ in town at Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Austin, Texas! Known for their award-winning Texas Hill Country-style BBQ and original "Big Chop," Cooper's offers a unique dining experience, from ordering straight from the pit to enjoying homemade sides and Southern hospitality.

Comment

• Stevo
                Stevo commented
                Editing a comment
                I think these are the same folks that are in Llano.

Wow, surprised more people haven't said Louie Mueller. Still one of my favorites.

Comment

• Stevo
                Stevo commented
                Editing a comment
                I like LMs, but my wife doesn't. Doesn't like their texas-style-thin-watery sauce. I like it though... And the place is a piece of history...

Stiles Switch is good too. http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/ Get there at 11am or you'll be waiting...

Comment

My daughter and son-in-law recently went to a wedding in Austin. They ate at LA Barbecue during the trip and sil said "Your barbecue is great but the meat we had there was like nothing I have ever tasted. It was truly amazing." They did not know the popularity of the place. Waited in line almost 3 hours and just before they placed their order they announced beef ribs were sold out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here