Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing the ultimate smoked turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing the ultimate smoked turkey

I plan to smoke Meathead ULTIMATE TURKEY on the 22nd and travel 200 miles to Houston on 23rd. Turkey to be eaten noon 24th. Should I carve before travel, what other procedures for this SALMONELLA carrier.

I'm no expert on the subject, but here is my two cents.

I wouldn't carve it. I would cool the bird as fast as possible when finished to try and capture all the juices. Keep the bird as cool as possible during the ride, maybe in a heavy duty trash bag and then placed in an ice salt water bath in a cooler. Then when you arrive place the bird in an oven at 250 - 300 to warm, then carve.

Comment

We have to do this type of stuff frequently in the restaurant. Cook your bird until you are 5 degrees from the doneness you are shooting for(re-heating will cook it the rest of the way without drying the bird), chill as fast as you can(save any juices if you can/want). When your bird is chilled, wrap tightly in 5-6 layers of plastic wrap. Wrap that bad boy tight!Include any juices. When the bird is "cocooned, " wrap in several layers of foil. Place in garbage bag(s) and pack in cooler,with ice, for your journey. When ready to re-heat, place in a 300-325 oven. Do not unwrap yet. Heat until you reach your temp, then remove your "cocoon" and crisp the skin at 400 for a few minutes, or use the broiler feature, if you like. I know, some will say not to put plastic in the oven, however the plastic will stick to the foil, not the bird. If you keep the temp below 350(preferably about 300ish), no serious out-gassing will occur with the plastic wrap. The garbage bags are just for storage and should not go in the oven. I use this method when I make the boss's turkey every year, and it works very well. The idea is to hold as much moisture as you can before serving. Another place I worked, we would buy saline injected raw turkey breast and cook it right in the cryovac package at 225 for 6 hours. When we reached 160(company standard), we would remove from the oven and chill. When the package was finally opened, the turkey(for sandwich slicing) was magnificent! Weird but true. I hope this helps...

Comment

Can't really offer much for you there, I was worried about it so I wrapped up my PBC and put it in the back of my Jeep, smoked it the day of. PBC is a good travel rig, fit my coals, wood, and all equipment right inside.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here