Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I'm an Aaron Franklin fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I'm an Aaron Franklin fan

Saw this on Google's daily news brief and thought you'd enjoy.

Get the latest entertainment news, restaurant news, music and festival news and things to do recommendations in Austin, TX.

I've stood in line twice for his grub. Worth the wait, but go early and bring a chair.

Cool article! thanks for posting. This is defiantly on my bucket list!! I like that link to see all of the quick facts. 650,000 lbs of meat in one year!!!

Comment

fun post. figured $300 could get you a line jump.

Comment

I'd do it if it weren't the other end of the country from me. I like him and respect his amazing work ethic. He deserves every ounce of success he has.

Comment

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          That kind of success doesn't come easy! Up before dawn every day, constantly working a hot fire, dealing with hungry customers and Texas heat...

I am in the middle of reading his book right now. I thought it was just a cook book but the first few chapters cover his history, technique, etc. Great read and lots of respect for him! I hope to visit sometime soon. Austin isn't too far from me!

Comment

It was on my bucket list too, but I never thought I'd get there. Then our son moved to Austin.

It was great - best brisket I have had, but there are too many great BBQ joints in the area for me to go back - unless our son stays in Austin a long time...

I reported on my experience here.
          Last edited by RonB; February 16, 2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Any more info about him coming out with a line of off set smokers this year?

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Haven't heard nothing!

I actually did the line too and did enjoy Franklin's a lot. Alas, we never got to see him. I did appreciate a lot that he sold his bottled sauces for about half of what most joints sell 'em for (three for $10). I wouldn't go back as long lines and waits are something I don't like to do, though this was a unique experience and the beer sales (plus umbrella use for free !) for those in line were a real nice touch. Lot's of friendly Q-ers to chat with. We also enjoyed Cooper's in Llano, the Salt Lick near Austin, and Black's in Lockhart, plus a couple of lesser places. I think Black's was my fave, especially the dino rib. I think a tour of the "big three" in Lockhart would be a great way to spend a day.

Comment

I just did this last Tuesday and it was a lot of fun. Franklin wasn't there at first, but much like Beetlejuice someone must of said his name 3 times and poof – there he be. I asked him about the rumor going around online about him working on his own line of smokers – he confirmed it, that's where he was working before coming in to the restaurant.

Here's a few photos of the experience as well as destroying a 1.5lb beef rib down the street at Mikelthwait's.

The line at 9:30am on a nice, mildly raining Tuesday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8451.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	306329Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170411_100034546.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	306330

1lb of Prime Angus Brisket tender goodness, and 1lb of pork ribs are being raped and pillaged:

Name:	IMG_20170411_124338395_HDR.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	306331

Head shot of Franklin defacing my meat manifesto....

Name:	IMG_20170411_125759807.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	306332

Meanwhile, just down the street a bit a day or two later:

Name:	IMG_20170413_122845658_HDR.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	306333Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170413_122840167_HDR.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	306334
              Last edited by kill2grill; April 17, 2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool! Thanks for sharing. That is awesome you got to meet the legend!

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Micklethwait is actually better than Franklins. There I said it.

• kill2grill
                kill2grill commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL - Ernest that's what one of the locals felt too! Micklethwait's beef rib was a thing of beauty – regretfully, I was unable to stomach another slab-o-brisket to compare against Franklins. Next time I happen to be in Austin I will fast for a few days so that a comparison can be made.

Agreed. He was very friendly and the restaurant was run like if you had a love child between a machine and Craig Ferguson. Efficient yet personable.

Comment

I bought the book after being on this site and seeing a few videos. This one gives a good insight of the work involved in good Q. ...

Comment

He is amazing. Everyone should read his book. I found it very inspiring. I haven't had a chance to visit his place yet, but have used his recipes and watched all of his videos. I did have La BBQ when I was in Austin, it was very good but I cannot compare.

Comment

had a fire there....

Comment

Watching the Dallas News stations apparently there was a fire at his location (apparently started in one of the smokers area) and I think they said 100's of thousands of dollars in damage could be a while before they get back up and going??

Comment

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That just means the lines are shorter now.

• GadjetGriller
                        GadjetGriller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmmm wonder if he still has his food truck??

Book is a good read. Little secret - you can pre-order whole briskets to take home with you and skip the line. You just can't sit down and eat it there though. They cryovac them and offer to sell you a little cooler bag if you want. I literally took one back with me to Chicago in my carry on. I was a little worried going through security and let TSA know I had a brisket in my bag. They were like, dude - no big deal we see it all the time!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here