Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin BBQ

I was in Austin all week for a business conference, planned ahead, and took advantage of their 6-week preorder option.
    I can only imagine how good it would have been sliced fresh and eaten immediately (I had to wait about 45 minutes to get back to the conference). I thought the brisket lived up to all the hype, it was excellent. The ribs were good, but were falling off the bone a bit too much for me (probably due to the delay). He also has some sort of vinegar sauce that I wanted to drink. We also had some sausage and they were also well worth it. All in all, it was worth the cab rides and everything else it took to get it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-20.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	242605

Cool, thanks for sharing. Best takeout ever I imagine.

Comment

• Beersnob
      Beersnob commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, probably the best brisket I've ever had; a perfect combination of simple flavors, with the meat being the star of the show. I tend to get carried away with the # of ingredients in my rub. Ha!

If you go to their website, you can see what days are available for takeout. Some times you can order the same day, or maybe a day or two out.
    My son recently moved to Austin and is making friends. They say that you can go around 1:30 and sometimes get Q without the wait. However, you are taking a chance that they will be out of what you want.

Comment

You might pick up the Aaron Franklin book: Franklin Barbecue A Meat-Smoking Manifesto. He freely passes on his recipes for his sauces and meats.

Comment

My wife surprised me for a milestone birthday with a trip to Austin this weekend. Landed Friday around midnight, got to hotel around 1am and was in line at Franklin Barbecue at 6:45 Saturday morning. We met some really friendly people in line during the 5+ hour wait. We ordered at noon and watched as they sliced up our moist brisket right in front of us. The first bite was amazing and now I have something to aspire to when aiming for Texas style brisket. We sampled the Tipsy Texan, a pound of brisket, 1 beef rib and a couple of pork ribs. We got to meet Aaron, take some pics and have him sign my book. The food and experience was so good that we returned Sunday morning, although arrived around 7:45 and had almost the same spot in line. We ordered just brisket and a couple of pork ribs this time. It's a long wait for food, but definitely worth it. Meeting fellow barbecue lovers was part of the experience and helped to pass the time.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sort of like a BBQ festival, eh? Happy to hear about your experience and your wife's knowing ways!

Our son moves to Austin late last summer and we went to visit in Oct. No one wanted to wait in line but me, so I did the wait and called them when I had an idea what time we would get in. It was well worth the wait and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the meal of brisket, ribs, pulled pork, sausage and turkey.

Here's my write-up:

Comment

Sounds amazing. I'm planning a trip to Austin from Australia with my wife and I in the next few months. It pretty much started after reading the Franklin book and seeing a short documentary. I'll stay in Austin then head west taking in New Orleans then up to Memphis before finishing in Charleston( where I got married) any other top BBQ must stops would be appreciated.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Lockhart is a must. Get the Clod. It is a beef shoulder with rich chuck taste. Charleston - Sticky Fingers is good. I only went to Firey Ron's on Sullivan's Island once, but it is worth a return visit.

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            City Market in Luling, just a little further down the road from Lockhart, is also very good and has the atmosphere of an old southern cafe. A big plus about Black's in Lockhart is the cafeteria style serving line with plenty of sides.

• Beersnob
            Beersnob commented
            Editing a comment
            I was lucky enough to go to City Market about 10 years ago and absolutely loved it. It's a close one between them and Franklin!

Decatur, Alabama. Big Bob Gibson ( Chris Lilly) bbq joint. King of pork and chicken with white sauce. Supposed to be his trademark recipe and what that region is known for.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback fellas, you've certainly gave me some itinerary options. I'd best lose a few kgs before I leave!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here