Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I went to Franklin's and I have Seen the Light!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to Franklin's and I have Seen the Light!

Our son moved to Austin several months ago, so we went went to visit him last week. My wife does a lot of prep work before we visit a new area and she asked me if there were any restaurants I'd like to visit in Austin, (Heh heh heh heh). Of course she said she was not going to stand in line for three or four hours to eat at any restaurant, so I said no problem, just give me a chair, a book, and an adult beverage and I'd do the waitin'. MY wife, son, and his gf could come when I had some idea when we'd be getting in. I arrived at Franklin about 9 AM and was about 50 or 60 people back, but I did not know how many people would join people in front of me. There was a lady going up and down the line selling beer and drinks as well as a coffee stand on the back of the lot. Another lady came through asking what people thought they would get so she could estimate who would be able to get what they wanted and who might not. A man came through and told the people right in front of me that it would probably be 1 -1:30 PM before they got in. A while later the lady doing the estimates came by and shaved an hour off the first estimate, so I called my wife and suggested they come around noon, (notice that I did not tell my wife to come at noon. ). We did get in around 12:30, but the line was still all the way from the counter to the door.

Now for the food - we ordered some of everything with an emphasis on brisket, (fat and lean), and ribs, but also got pulled pork, sausage, and turkey. Everyone agreed that everything was great, but each had their own favorites. Mine were both the brisket and the ribs. Both the fatty and the lean brisket were very moist and tender, with very nice flavor. I was afraid the pepper would over power the brisket, but it did not. The ribs were very tender, (more tender than competition ribs), and juicy; the pulled pork was very tender and moist; the sausage was flavorful and had a nice bite; and the turkey was well cooked too - perhaps a tiny bit dry, but only if I was being very critical. The sides were good too, but I was there for the meat. And the light has shown down and I can see where I need to go with my smoking. I think my cooking is good, but this stuff was great.

I'd like to go back, but there are so many good bbq places in the area, I probably will visit a different place next time. We also ate a lot of very good Tex-Mex, and went to one fancy steak place, but I can cook a better steak at home for 1/4 the cost.

A few photos:

This was out back on a side street. The stacks look huge to me, and notice where the thermometer is - next to the exhaust.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0620.jpg Views:	1 Size:	545.9 KB ID:	233928

This was just about the end of the line just before my family arrived at noon. Someone came and told people to not block parking places.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0623.jpg Views:	1 Size:	470.1 KB ID:	233920

Most of the line. My blue chair is is just to the right and above the trash cans in front.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0626.jpg Views:	1 Size:	539.7 KB ID:	233921

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0629.jpg Views:	1 Size:	412.9 KB ID:	233926

Most of the rest of the line. This shot is out of order...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0628.jpg Views:	1 Size:	462.8 KB ID:	233925

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0648.jpg Views:	1 Size:	493.8 KB ID:	233924

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0631.jpg Views:	1 Size:	468.3 KB ID:	233922

This is our tray minus some of the sides.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0653.jpg Views:	1 Size:	362.4 KB ID:	233927

Some of the smokers. I think there were two more of theses as well as several other cookers of different types.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0655.jpg Views:	1 Size:	458.9 KB ID:	233929

I was giving up hope of seeing Aaron, but I turned the last corner, and there he was tending a large grill. He was happy to pose for a photo with me.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0657.jpg Views:	1 Size:	332.3 KB ID:	233923
    Last edited by RonB; October 26, 2016, 09:14 PM.

Awesome write-up! Thanks for sharing the pics and the experience.

Comment

RonB , Many thanks for the detailed account of your experience!!!

Also, for the review from one whose opinion I actually respect, vs. the usual internet twaddle from ppl who wouldn't know good cue if it rared up an' bit them on their asses. (i.e.; most of humankind!)

Th' pic with Aaron is Classic+!!!

All pics are worth well over the proverbial "Thousand Words"

Well Done, Sir

~S~

I doff my beloved cowboy hat to ya'!

Comment

I know Aaron Franklin is a legend and has some of the most amazing BBQ. But I could never wait that long for a meal that I could make almost and (I'm saying Almost )as good.
        But it does look like you RonB had a great time at Franklins. Happy for you guys.
        Let's keep the smoke coming.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Part of the fun is the wait. You bring a folding chair and a cooler. Chat it up with some cool folks that have a similar affinity for great bbq.

• frijolefrito
          frijolefrito commented
          Editing a comment
          It's funny. I only go out to eat now for Japanese food and some quick lunch while I'm working or out. I Identify with your statement.

I'm jealous RonB looks like it was fun. It's on my bucket list for sure

Comment

Thanks for the post and the pictures, great to see!

Comment

Congrats and thanks for the review and pics.

Next time you're in Austin make the short drive up to Taylor and try Louis Mueller's. I haven't eaten at Frankling but Mueller's is really good!

Comment

Very nice write up RonB ! Two things, well three things I noticed from your efforts...

1)He is sitting (well earned mind you) on a gold mine.
              2)His pit area is immaculate. Some times those areas are dirty as hell at some BBQ joints. (shudder)
              3)You are a very good photographer.

Thanks again!

Comment

Smitty's, Black's and Kruetz's awaits you in nearby Lockhart, TX.

Comment

I would take that pic of you and Aaron, blow it up, frame it and hang it up on a wall in the mancave. That is awesome. I live in the Dallas/Ft. worth area and one day hope to make it down to Franklins.

Comment

What a great write up!!! Thanks for sharing your awesome BBQ experience. I will go one day. My cousin is having his bachelor party in Austin in a few months. I think instead of the bars and girls I might just do a BBQ tour!! So cool of Aaron to be willing to take a photo. You should black and white that sucker and frame it. Its a shot with the legend.

Comment

Awesome. I just went for the first time a couple months ago. It is not the most smokey brisket which I think most like more. The tenderness was so perfect. Just gently pulls a part. Part of the fun is the line in my book. Cooler of cold brewskis and most people in line are cool to chat with, many from all over and had cool stories. I'd do it again.

Comment

I thought the same about the ribs. A bit mushy compared to comp ribs. I tried ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. My favorite was brisket by far. Ribs were to mushy for my liking. I like some pull to mine.

Comment

Great write up RonB . I really enjoyed reading Aaron's book and look forward to one day travelling to the Mecca that is Franklin's!

Comment

I appreciate the pictures and glad you got a shot with the chef. It's funny how meeting a good chef to me is more important than a celebrity.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here