Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Dallas trip...and Lockhart BBQ - Best I've ever had!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dallas trip...and Lockhart BBQ - Best I've ever had!!!

I brought 3 friends to Dallas last week for a 3 day leadership conference. It was great! My buddies have been hearing about my growing BBQ hobby (obsession) and on the drive up I let them know that BBQ would be on the menu with some regularity! Our first night brought us to the Oak Cliff neighborhood and Lockhart BBQ. The place looked great, and the smell of wonderful BBQ just drew you past the cool dining room to this gorgeous spot - the smoker holding oven and cutting table. The large bearded dude made the interactions fun. He must have seen the Burnt Ends desire in my eyes...and they delivered!

3 meat platter for me...try to to faint when you look at the pic below (I left it in the Large format, so you could enjoy the awe):

I smoke with Memphis Dust, and I'm accustomed to dark bark. I'm not that discerning on picking out spices, but the ribs had something a little different, and they were GREAT!

The flats (right) were delicious, tender, flavorful and wow!

Then we get to the main event, for me, the Point! That bark was black and crusty and flavorful and kept me smiling for hours! I WANT MY BRISKET TO BE LIKE THAT!

If I am running out of ways to describe my BBQ experience at Lockhart, maybe this next pic will help:

I think I picked at those pieces of black bark some more after we took this pic. And I took some of their Kreuz Market sausage home with me for snack, and the Burbon Bread Pudding. (I'm just remembering that I have some of that leftover in the fridge...)

In the past couple months, I have made it to 7 places (so far) on the Texas Monthly Top 50. A couple were big disappointments. A couple were really good. This one was the first that was significantly better than my best BBQ so far on all counts!

Thursday evening in Oak Cliff at Lockhart inspired me to keep improving on my BBQ, I will do it!

Thank you, Lockhart!
    #PaulstheRibList

p.s. I'm now plotting with some other friends for a Central Texas BBQ road trip!

Pics didn't work! I want to check them out, right now it's just letters and words and those don't make me hungry.

Comment

I've eaten there too. Amazing food. I found out by talking to one of the employees they use post oak wood for smoking. Can't see your pictures though.

Comment

That place rocks, whenever I am in Dallas I always make sure to stop in at least once. Everyone knows about the brisket (out of this world), but the deviled eggs they sell as side dishes are secret superstars.

Comment

Sometimes I can see the pics, and sometimes not. I've attached them in the traditional Pic place in case you want some Beefnogorphy.

Comment

Also they have different special on different days. Wednesday is Dinosaur bones big beef ribs...I mean huge. Also I think Thursday they do the burnt ends. One of the few places that does true burnt ends and not just re-smoked point.

Comment

I have been to a few BBQ places in Texas. Smitty's, Black's and Kruze's in Lockhart have all exceeded my expectations, along with Salt Lick near Austin. Bodacious BBQ was middle of the road and Baker's Ribs were decent. Mekeska's in Columbus and Henzes in Wharton are both good. The beef ribs at Pecan Lodge in Dallas are off the charts off. If you are there with 4-6 folks order the Trough which includes some of everything. Go early.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here