Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our son just moved to Austin TX...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our son just moved to Austin TX...

.... a few weeks ago and hasn't found a good Mexican restaurant yet. He also would like recommendations for BBQ - he's not going to stand in line for food at any restaurant, so Franklin's is out. That may, (hopefully), change when we go down to visit.

So I would appreciate any recommendations anyone could offer for either Mexican or BBQ. If you feel like adding what you thought was good at any place, feel free to include specifics. Thanx in advance.

Texmex: Chuys. Bbq: Pokejoes and Rudys.

Comment

Howdy!

HE WANTS MEXICAN. Tex-mex isn't what he has in mind............................... just give him some time and he'll come around and realize this ain't Mexico !

The good thing is there are lots of places to try and he'll have broadened his horizons. If there is a Jalapeno Tree around there try that or any little Taquiero hole in the wall place.

Comment

For barbecue, it's a 45-minute drive up to Taylor and Louis Mueller's. Less than that down to Elgin and Southside Market. Or out West to the Salt Lick if he wants to stand in line. Perry's Steak House downtown is a great place to go for a steak or their house special, the 3-bone Chop. It's pricey but worth every penny! No idea for Mex or Tex-Mex, sorry.

Comment

For Beef ribs, Louie Mueller is my favorite (although quite a drive). For combination of quality & convenience, Terry Black's right near downtown is our go-to place. Smitty's has some of the best pork ribs we've had in the area, but is also a drive, just like the original Blacks. If he is in North Austin, a reasonably-good neighborhood joint is Style Switch. You already know about Franklin's. The La Barbeque food truck gets amazing reviews, but the one time we ate there I was not overly impressed. Salt Lick doesn't have the best product, but the platters are a good value, and it is a pretty drive out into the country. Jalapeno Cheddar sausages at Kreuz Market are great. We buy them by the box (refrigerated), take them to our daughters, eat a bunch, and leave them with the rest to feast on. We tried the Black's "Annex" in North Austin right after it opened and it was a huge disappointment. I hope they have sorted out their issues by now, but we haven't been back to check.

For Mexican, in North Austin our favorite "made to order" taco joint is Paco's Tacos. If you want South Austin, we really like the informal Taqueria Chapala. Perhaps surprisingly, Torchy's Tacos (a chain) is actually also surprisingly good. I'm sure there are plenty more, these just happen to be what we've found that we enjoyed. The good news is that there are plenty of possibilities!

Comment

For BBQ--go to Lockhart.

Comment

When I lived there, up north of campus on Guadeloupe, there was a numbered taco stand. Something like Taco #49. Good then. No idea if it still exists now.

Comment

morganjim got it right. If you live in Austin, then it's gonna be Tex-Mex or nothing. Ruined me for the local (Sonoran) Mexican food. With the exception a few dishes I just don't care for it. If he's moving down from the northeast I have no idea what he thinks Mexican is. Not being offensive -- I just don't know what they serve up there. With all due respect to Stevo I wouldn't eat at a Chuy's again with a gun to my head. Problem is that they are franchises (at least here they are) and they vary a lot. Can be really bad (trust me -- really bad.)

Comment

• Tucson Bill
                  Tucson Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Stevo -- I guess you've not had greasy refried beans and unchewable fajitas. I have. It was really bad.

• Stevo
                  Stevo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no i haven't. Love Chuy's Austin...

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chuy's in Austin is quite different from the Chuy's around the country, in much the same way that Pizzeria Uno in downtown Chicago is different from the ones in malls across the country. Those tortilla chips... I haven't had in 20 years, but remember distinctly.

They have a Salt lick up in Round Rock by the Dell Diamond too. It isnt the original but still pretty decent. Rudy's is OK, never understood what the big hubbub was all about. They are a chain now kind of, they seem to be on every corner.

The best breakfast Tacos I have had were from Ken's Tacos and Subs, although other people say Juan in a Million but it is always in the mouth of the beholder.

Smokey Moe's is decent BBQ.

Chuy's is ok, but as @Tucson Bill they are becoming a chain so your satisfaction is dependant on location. Some are better than others.

A really good wholesome place is Hoovers on Manor Rd. They call themselves A Soul Food place but they smoke almost all their meats there in house and have awesome portions for low prices. 5* service IMHO.

Other places to try out not BBQ related... Amy's Ice cream, Phil's Hamburgers, any of the Kirby Lane Cafe locations, Alamo Draft House (for Movies), and my personal favorite The Flying Saucer. Just in case he might need idea's for date nights these are great places to try out.

Comment

Thanx all for the recommendations. I will happily take more if anyone else cares to contribute.

Comment

I love Rudy's brisket!

Comment

• Ernest
                      Ernest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I go for moist and creamed corn

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto on the moist and creamed corn.

He should just drive down Congress street.

Comment

Maude's is a good place to try out too. Trudy's for their (only 2 per person) Mexican Martini's. Trulucks for seafood, And Dave & Busters for a little gaming and beer fun.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Trudy's was good back 25 years ago when I first showed up in Austin.

While in Austin for business I've been to the Iron Cactus on 6th St. Good food and Negro Modelo beer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here