Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubbock recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubbock recommendations?

We moved to Lubbock in West Texas a few years ago and became big fans of good BBQ and this website. A place we really like here is The Shack, on the northwest edge of the city. Man, they know how to do brisket around here, and the pork is great, too. Most web review sites (Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc.) are fairly useless, so I'm wondering if there are other Pit members in the area and what places they think highly of. 'Cuz Pit members know what they're talking about!

Welcome Bob!!

GadjetGriller

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome Bobgjohnston! I know it's been a while since you joined, but we'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome!

I don't think I've ever gotten bad BBQ at any family owned joint in Texas. The only mediocre BBQ I can think of has been from chains in Houston. That said, I can say as I've ever had BBQ as good as what comes from my backyard, either.

One of my favorite places is a joint about 100 miles east of the I10/I20 split just north of I20. Can't tell you the name or the town, just that it is about 100 miles east of the split. Has a car/airplane museum of sorts attached to it.

Comment

• Bobgjohnston
            Bobgjohnston commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the fact that a place you recommend is a 100 miles from something...that is SO Texas! Most people (from other states) have no idea just how big Texas is. We're relatively new to this state, but we love it!

Welcome Bobgjohnston we have a member GadjetGriller that lives in Lubbock, Tx
          Last edited by DWCowles; August 23, 2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your spelling of Lubbock! a lot of the news casters and voice over talent here say Lubbick drives me crazy its OCK not ICK so maybe the town should change the spelling to Lubbouk Sure the descendants of Colonel Lubbock wouldn't mind lol

Bobgjohnston I too recently found the shack! after eating while leaving I noticed that they were getting a supply of wood. I stopped and ask the gentlemen what type of wood he was leaving? Expecting to hear Oak I was surprised to hear Pecan. While talking to him he told me about Evie Mae's BBQ in Wolfforth tx. Said he like them better. I went to try and try them out but they had recently switched from a food truck to a brick and mortar. ok long story short I finally found that they are only open 3 days a week (thur, Fri & Sat) and sell until they sale out (usually around 3 pm) 217 Highway 62, Wolfforth, TX 79382 phone # 806-782-2281
          they are the best I've had in Lubbock. if you just want a sandwich Tom & Bingos @ 3006 34th St is really good (if not a little expensive) I always have to buy at least 2 (and sometimes 3) to get full. Surprisingly Dickey's has very good Ribs (5412 slide rd) for a chain. Bighams use to be good but then the kids took over for the aging parents and quality and Flavor went down while the price went up. J&M BBQ (right by my house) is probably the worst I have had! to bad they would have been convenient. Rib Crib on slide and 82nd use to be Great really got your moneys worth and was pretty tasty until the drought caused Brisket prices to sky rocket and their portions went down by at least 60% (while maintaining the same price) and the little extras that they use to throw in (like bean and pickle spear) went away. There are more in town but the 1st 3 I mentioned will do when your craving BBQ but don't have the time to smoke it yourself (my home made stuff is way better than the rest I mentioned) Now I'm from Texas so when I say BBQ I'm talking Brisket, Ribs and chicken. Don't eat Pulled pork much so can't help you there sorry.

Comment

GadjetGriller, thanks for your comments! I appreciate hearing from someone in Lubbock (that wasn't me who spelled it Lubbouk, but I hear what you're saying about the pronunciation). Great rundown on Lubbock BBQ, we're on the same page. I haven't tried Evie Marie's, but have heard about it, so it's definitely on the list. Tom and Bingo's left me a little underwhelmed (good chopped meat, but not much else? No sides? Yeah, I needed several...) and Bighams was disappointing. Had lunch at J&M's once, and despite their reputation haven't felt like going back. And you're right about smoking your own (thanks to this site!). I understand you Texans don't go the pork route much, but if you can get your hands on some Lisemby Farm's pork (from New Home) to work with, I think you'll be impressed.
            Best to you, Bob.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, I recently moved from southern Texas ( San Leon ) to Laughlin Nevada with no real bbq places so now it's just what I make to feed my craving. I contract to Stevens transport so am forced to Dallas every 90 days, don't care much for dickens but soul mans bbq is okay for when I'm not at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobgjohnston View Post
                ..Aplace we really like here is The Shack, on the northwest edge of the city. Man, they know how to do brisket around here...

I just hit this place up yesterday as I was bombing across TX and it was absolutely fantastic. The Brisket was the best inI personally have ever had. The Mac n cheese was outstanding as well. Thanks for the recommendation (5 years later)!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here