Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice video on the Salt Lick..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice video on the Salt Lick..

Pretty intense cooking process

This is what I love about Q. Everyone has their own special twist and technique.

I got meat sweats and started into a food coma just watching that.

Comment

The idea to cook briskets, chill, then reheat came after watching a Youtube video of a place in Chicago.

Comment

They didn't have refrigeration so we make it fresh. Here is the refrigerator where we cool down all the meat.

Looks amazing, just thought that was amusing.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          THANK YOU!!! i was cracking up at that too

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I know, we can chill 10,000 pounds of meat, no way we can chill a couple tubs of slaw.

I'd need to watch it again for a quote, but I think he said that they precook the meat, chill it down, then finish it just before serving because it tastes better as "leftovers". It's the slaw that's made and served fresh.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly. Still, it was a little funny just on the surface.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest ... it was indeed a little funny. Looks like he's come a long way since the days of his ancestors' wagons.

The Salt Lick was featured on Symon's Burgers, Brew and Q a few days ago. We're headed to Austin soon and I think I'll try to get to it. That said, I thought the brisket looked a bit dry when sliced for the camera.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard. Perhaps that explain why I never really enjoy my own briskets. Long live pork butt!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I get more requests for single pork butts rather than single briskets. Brisket if doing larger quantities.

• Gooner-que
          Gooner-que commented
          Editing a comment
          That is why I love chuckies, it is like a pork butt and a brisket had a magical baby.

Been there half a dozen times or so. Hands down, one of my favorite all time Q joints. In spite of the unusual prep, their BBQ is truly excellent. The sides are top notch. The atmosphere is perfect Texan ranch with mature oaks and outdoor tables where people roll up their coolers of adult beverages to hang in the shade while waiting on a seat inside and watching the kids on the playground. Probably the best part.. for about $25, it's all you can eat.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Can I take that to mean that it isn't possible to buy a beer at the Salt lick?

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          It's been a couple of years since I was there, but I remember buying beer in their
          beer and wine shop next door and taking it into the restaurant.

To be honest, can't remember for sure. Spent a year in San Antonio and we always took our own cooler on our Salt Lick trips. They do sell wine on the premise and you can buy a bottle to take to your table. Been about a year and a half since my last visit, give them a call for the most accurate info.
        We moved to Tennessee last year.
        Good luck. If you make it out there, hope it's to your liking.

Comment

Try to go during the spring or fall, when the weather is perfect, unless it's pouring down rain, so you can sit outside under the trees.

Comment

I'm only 5 hours and 12 minutes from them.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man! That 12 minutes is a deal breaker for me!

Here's another video on the SL:

Join the web’s most supportive community of creators and get high-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos in gorgeous HD with no ads.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Not sure on the sauce as for as ordering. Thanks for the recipe.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard, you can order their sauce and rub from their web site. Amazon also carries it. We get ours from HEB.

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Have to check it out.

FINALLY validation.
            I've always believed any BBQ benefits from an overnight in a fridge and rewarming.
            My wife vehemently disagrees.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Time to come out of the (leftovers) closet! I always BBQ for serving the next day ... makes timing for guests SO much easier ... and it tastes better, too.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here