Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin BBQ Mail Order Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin BBQ Mail Order Brisket

I've wanted to visit Austin to try Franklin's brisket for several years, but Covid got in the way. So on a whim I decided to splurge on a Franklin brisket via Gold Belly. When I ordered it, there were a couple of days available 6 weeks away! I paid (about $260) for 5 lb - mostly flat. It came yesterday and my wife and I had it for dinner tonight. To prepare, you simply remove from cryovac and heat in the oven for 1-1/2 hours at 225F. It was incredible. The seasoning was perfect - slightly peppery - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2402.jpg Views:	82 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	1272949 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2406.jpg Views:	82 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	1272948 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2405.jpg Views:	82 Size:	186.7 KB ID:	1272947 and the smokiness was prevelent. Franklin only seasons with salt and pepper, and it was better seasoned than most of the prepared rubs I've experienced. The meat wasn't quite as moist as a brisket on the day of being cooked, but that was a minor issue. Overall just superb. And more than enough left over for another meal for us.
    Last edited by BBQPhil; August 11, 2022, 10:39 AM. Reason: typos, elaborate

We’ve done this too, and it is fantastic. A bit pricey vs traveling to Austin and waiting in a 4-6 hour line, but our time has a price too.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Economic costs are overwhelming overlooked.

We spent a couple days in Austin last November, only to find out that Franklin’s was the last restaurant in the country to reopen indoor dining 😩, and you had to order carry out seven weeks in advance.

We’ve been very tempted to try this, but haven’t quite been able to pull the trigger. Your review might just push me over the edge, and I appreciate you sharing.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, that looks good!

Comment

Sure looks good!

Comment

Looks really good! But ain't it cheating lol!!
          Last edited by RiverJeff; August 11, 2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

The trimming for presentation is great. I have to do that with my next one.

Comment

Here's the "official" how to reheat/slice the Franklin brisket (oven method). He has similar videos for sous-vide and simmering reheating.

Comment

although we followed the directions on our Franklin reheat, we didn't have a "crust" like we expected. Oh, the rub was tasty, but it wasn't a bark.

Did we miss a step on reheating, or maybe there wasn't a crunchy crust at all ?

Comment

I had the good fortune to visit Franklin's a few months ago and it was well worth the wait! The vibe was very upbeat and his staff does a good job of letting you know what to expect and when to expect it. We brought lawn chairs and cool drinks which helped make the time go by faster.

Here's a link to the writeup on my website if you'd like to read more about my experience.

The food was fantastic and the brisket met all of my expectations. Although Franklin says that he only uses salt & pepper, there is a rumor that the salt is actually Lawry's seasoned salt. I need to try smoking a brisket both ways to see if I can come close to what I tasted at Franklin's.

I also tried his turkey and jalapeño cheddar sausage. Everything was top notch, except there was nothing special about the sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1273306 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1273307

Comment

• Sid P
                    Sid P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The meat certainly looks top notch in those pics…

We ordered that from Goldbelly once also, it was excellent. Our experience was the same as yours.

I did the math on it and actually concluded it was a decent deal.

Here is my review from Sept 2021.
                  Last edited by Mosca; August 11, 2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrobin View Post
                    The food was fantastic and the brisket met all of my expectations. Although Franklin says that he only uses salt & pepper, there is a rumor that the salt is actually Lawry's seasoned salt. I need to try smoking a brisket both ways to see if I can come close to what I tasted at Franklin's.
                    LOOKS like just salt and pepper, from about the 10m mark in this fantastic video

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                      Jfrosty27 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome video. I could not do that even in my young prime. A 24 hour shift? Ouch. But the Q! I hope he at least got to eat some!

My wife and I have been to Austin twice. Each time we have gone to Franklin’s. Waiting in the line is almost fun. People are very friendly. Is the brisket worth that time and effort? I think so and it is the only restaurant brisket my wife will eat. Would we order one through Goldbelly? "We’ll get back to Austin again someday," is the response I’ve always gotten to that suggestion. So, I guess not yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here