Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinkerton's Barbecue, San Antonio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinkerton's Barbecue, San Antonio

In 2021, Texas Monthly listed the Top 50 BBQ joints in Texas. Two San Antonio restaurants made the list: 2M Smokehouse and Pinkerton's Barbecue. I recently visited 2M and provided my thoughts. A Birthday Dinner - 2M Smokehouse, San Antonio - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Today I had the opportunity to try Pinkerton's. As with 2M, my wife and I were joined by my niece and her husband.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinkertons3.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1272183

As a quick aside, my niece is an Army nurse practitioner serving as a company commander at Fort Sam Houston. She spent almost a year deployed to the Middle East supporting special forces. She was selected for Major last month. As a retiree with 24 years, I am very proud of her.

When we decided to go to Pinkerton's, we were all a little apprehensive. It is located in the middle of downtown SA, and we were worried it would be your typical tourist's trap. Turns out we had nothing to worry about.

First, I want to apologize for the photo. The food looked so good, we all dove in, Before I thought about pictures, we were filling up a to-go box.

Name:	Pinkertons1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1272184

What you see is what was left of the brisket, jalapeno cheese sausage, pork ribs, potato salad and jalapeno cheese rice. Not shown - we also had the chopped brisked, South Texas beans, Rosemary Bacon Mac and Cheese, and Banana Foster pudding.

I went back to the serving line, and they cut open a fresh brisket so I could get at least one good picture.

Name:	Pinkertons2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1272185

How would I rate the food? Brisket, ribs and jalapeno cheese sausage were all exceptional. Potato salad and beans (very different from typical borracho or pinto offerings) - above average. Jalapeno rice and Mac and Cheese - average. Banana Foster Pudding - above average.

Comparing 2M and Pinkerton's,

Brisket - I would have to call it a tie. Brisket at both places was fantastic - probably the best I have ever had. 2M's had a little better smoke and a fantastic bark. Pinkerton's was a tad more tender. Both were equal in flavor.

Pinkerton's had fantastic ribs (how can they be a perfect bite yet almost fall off the bone?). 2M didn't offer ribs.

2M's pulled pork was average. Did not try that at Pinkerton's.

Pinkerton's easily had the better sausage.

Side dishes - we all thought the variety and flavor at Pinkerton's was better.

Dessert - we all liked Pinkerton's Banana Foster pudding. The cheesecakes at 2M are a must.

Bottom line - We would return to Pinkerton's first, but both places are top notch and worth a visit. Just make sure you have a fat wallet. With price of meat today, these places are not cheap. But the quality and experience of both is worth the cost.

Next, we plan to visit the Burnt Bean Co. in Seguin, TX. Strange name for a BBQ joint but they made the Top 50 list also.
    Attached Files

Great writeup and pics! Really like your comparison of the 2 places and their offerings. I’m officially jealous.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Would be worth a visit for your fall meet-up.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      jlazar Nice choice on visiting the Burnt Bean Co. next. Our very own gcdmd ate there and gave it rave reviews. Perhaps he can chime in?
      Last edited by Panhead John; August 9, 2022, 06:29 PM.

Great writeup, thanks! I had heard good things about Pinkerton's before and this confirms it.

Comment

Thanks for a great write up and comparison! What time did you go and how long was the wait? Thanks.
      Last edited by Sid P; August 10, 2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        We went at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon and had no wait. I think they just recently began opening on Tuesdays. There is plenty of seating available inside and out (covered with fans). With the large bar they have in the dining room, I would expect evenings and weekends to get crowded - but have no experience.

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

I recently watched a BBQ Quest in which Pinkerton’s was highlighted. Glad it lives up to the highlight.

Comment

Kinda hope my nephew gets transferred back to San Antonio at some point, visiting that city is going to a foodies paradise.
        Haven't been there in 15 years or so now so it may have changed but walking around the city center to the little mom n pop, I'll call them cantina's, is well worth the trip alone.
        Great write up, congrats to the wife.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm driving out to the Texas Meat-up in October and will likely tool on down to SA and check it out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here