Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Day in Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Meathead I can’t speak for anyone outside of Texas, but in Texas, that issue is a BIG DEAL! For anyone not familiar with Texas Monthly, it really is a great magazine with lots of interesting articles, not just about BBQ. It’s also a very well respected publication and is mainly about other things, such as Texas travel destinations, politics, issues concerning our state, restaurants, sometimes humorous articles, etc.

For a BBQ place to be included in their, every 4 years, Top 50 is HUGE, especially for the top 10! The very next day that issue comes out, long lines are formed at most all of the top locations. And from my personal experience, each one I’ve eaten at was very worthy of that inclusion. And also from what I’ve seen, the lines continue to be long for months, if not years, to come. Troutman 58limited and I have eaten together at 3 of those BBQ spots chosen for their list. All 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed what we had, and we all felt it was some of the best BBQ we’ve had. All of us at the Texas MeatUps ate at Brett’s Backyard BBQ and loved it…and he wasn’t even in the top 10.

From my personal experience, as well as a few of my Pit friends, we all respect the hell out of that issue and think Daniel Vaughn and Texas Monthly do a bang up job.
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 11, 2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Two of those three were not rated when we first ate at them but we knew that they were so good that they would make this list, and they did: Brett's Backyard and 1701.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir. I remember you turning us on to 1701 BBQ and before they made that issue, we all felt they would be worthy. And we just stumbled onto Brett’s. Everyone loved Brett’s and voilà, they made it too. I’m thinking they owe us a few free meals….

From your list Valentina's is the only one I've tried, I loved it. I thought their brisket was something special... especially on the homemade tortillas.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve also heard nothing but praise for Valentina’s.

Ok! So recap of day 1! Started the day at "BrisketU". Overall it was a really fun class. Thanks to all of you and this site I feel like I had a foundation of knowledge going in, but it was really awesome to have a few hours to ask questions and see some work up close. It wasn’t the most hands on class (more learning than doing), but was a great kick off. The brisket the teacher made was also better than any brisket I’ve ever eaten in my home state, so it was a strong start.

From there I headed over to Leroy and Lewis and sampled their Cauliflower Burnt Ends (so I can say I ate one veggie today) and their bacon rib (which I’ve been dreaming about for a long time). It was one of the richest, most decadent things I’ve ever eaten. It was the best of spareribs and pork belly sweetly mingled together.

After that I hustled up to Lockhart and hit up Smitty’s and Kreuz. The historical pieces and just the whole experience was fantastic. Their pits are unreal. It was also so cheap!

At Smittys I had turkey (awesome), a sausage (really good and a different texture than I’m use to), and a pork chop (least impressive of the trio). I also had some coleslaw (basic coleslaw which is always good) and Mac and cheese (tasted like stouffers).

From Kreuz I got the clod, ham, a sausage (for comparison sake), and 1 rib. The clod and rib while Smokey didn’t have much flavor and were kind of duds. The ham was killer and the sausage was really good as well.

From there I headed to my hotel where I’m currently in the meat sweat phase of the evening (but no regrets and I had a blast today). Tomorrow my plan is to do at least Valentina’s. If I have room I might grab a Kerlach and then do interstellar for lunch. I have to have my rental car back by 1, so if I’m full or there is a huge line I may save it for next time.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Attached Files

Comment

@Baltimorelger
      Thanks for the writeup and the pics.
      I'm so glad I found my way to Texas, courtesy of Uncle Sam, back in the mid-seventies.

As an old bumper sticker used to say, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

Comment

Damn, that was quite a day! Thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Had to throw in my morning final stops. Went to Valentina’s for breakfast and the tacos were life changing. The Brisket and Barbados were maybe my two best bbq bites of the weekend. I finished up by grabbing a Pork Belly Burnt End Kolach from Kerlaches (they run Kerlin’s bbq too). Overall this has been a great 24 hours. Thanks for everyone’s advice and excited to try some new experiments when I’m back home.
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here