Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1701 BBQ One Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1701 BBQ One Year Anniversary

This past Saturday was 1701 BBQ's one year anniversary. Their story starts several years ago as a collaboration between James "Blue" Broussard and Dave Thompson: Blue Dave's BBQ food truck. I first tasted their wares at the grand opening of my second home: Neches Brewing Company in Port Neches, Texas in 2016. This food truck served the best Central Texas style barbecue that I've had since moving to SE Texas. I made it a point to tell them so and recommended that they open a brick and mortar joint. Fast forward to 2020 and Blue Broussard opened up in a vintage building at 1701 Calder Ave. in Beaumont, Texas. They had a line out the door from day one and within 10 months 1701 BBQ was named to the Texas Monthly Top 50 list. During this time they also expanded their menu by adding boudin, sausage - regular beef and beef jalapeno cheddar, and smoked chicken.

For their one year anniversary they set up a large tent in their parking lot and invited several local businesses to attend and offer their wares and services, plus free samples of Yuengling beer from Giglio Distributing. These businesses set up tables at the event: Alligator Sausage Co. (yes, the sausage is made with alligator and it is awesome!), The Avenue Coffee, Sure-Shot Game Calls (bought a duck call for a friend's Christmas gift), Birdstrap Leather Co., Boerne Brand Hot Sauce (bought a three pack), Down To Earth Natural Products (shampoo, soap, etc.), Mock Ranches (real estate company specializing in ranches), Texas Beard Co., Travelin' Babe Cave (clothing and custom t-shirts), and Giglio Distributing. Musical guest was Running on Credit, a great local band.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1701-1.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	1138341

Inside it was basically business as usual. I've been there several times but this is the first time I got the chicken before they ran out. It was delicious! Tender and juicy - both the white meat and dark meat. Their beef sausage is great but this was the first time I've had the jalapeno cheddar - even better. I've had their boudin twice and it is good, kind of a hybrid between Texas Boudain and Louisiana Boudin. Texas tends to have more rice and grinds the meat, Louisiana uses less rice and often just lets the meat fall apart while cooking.

Here is my plate:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1701-2.jpg Views:	12 Size:	4.81 MB ID:	1138342

Finally, they had a special guest in the house: Bill Dumas, noted pitmaster and considered by many to be the Sausage Guru of Texas. He currently works at Liberty BBQ in Round Rock and Brotherton's Black Iron BBQ in Pflugerville, He was at BretFest in Rockdale with a pork carnitas sausage that was really good. For 1701 he made a crawfish and shrimp boil sausage (top right on my plate above - yes, that is corn in the sausage) which was interesting and good. I was able to talk to him for a few minutes, very friendly guy with a lot of knowledge and experience. He offers a sausage class which 1701 took advantage of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1701-3.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	1138343

All in all this was a fun afternoon. 1701 has accomplished a lot in one year, here's hoping year two is even better!
    Last edited by 58limited; December 7, 2021, 04:38 PM. Reason: grammar

Great write up David! Are you sure you didn’t have Steve do it for you?

Comment

I love Texas!!!

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        C'mon down again and stay awhile. 🤠

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        And we love you Cap’n!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t, he’s busy building on to his deck.

A Broussard that can smoke meat, hardly something I can believe.

Comment

I gotta get me a green card somehow.
        Great write up and really neat to see places like these flourish.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Rill nice! Delicious pics & mighty fine write up!

Comment

Be there Saturday, can’t wait !!!!

Comment

1701 served Creekstone Farms prime rib sandwiches today for their one year anniversary Christmas. It was very good, they sold out in 53 minutes. The sliced prime rib was dipped in brisket dripping au jus before being placed on the bun. Served with horseradish cheese sauce and pickled red onions. Yum!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1701primerib.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1144163

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here