Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austin On Game Weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin On Game Weekend?

My wife and I are planning a weekend getaway to Austin for 11/12 - 11/14, and I just realized the Longhorns are playing at home that Saturday. Now we’re wondering how bad the crowds are, and if we should find somewhere else to go. The plan was to take in some live music and stuff ourselves with barbecue, but we can do that in other cities. More than anything else, we hate standing in line…

What do you Texans think? Should we bail?

Nooooo, Austin is a big city. My brother lives there and I was down on game day, most of the game day stuff centers around the university and the stadium. Although, that is a site to see as well, if you are a college football fan.

There are plenty of amazing spots in Austin and the game will not make a difference. I went to Loro last time I was there and it was awesome. The food was really good and an awesome atmosphere.
    BBQ/Japanese fusion by Aaron Franklin and Tyson Cole. LORO Asian Smokehouse and Bar Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2748.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1117040
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2745.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1117039

It is worth a stop for sure. As are many of the other more traditional BBQ spots in Austin.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Thanks. Loro looks interesting and people seem to love it, so it’s on our short list.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You will not regret it. Awesome atmosphere and the ribs and brisket are killer. There also tons of interesting fusion food too that you gotta try. Sid P

^^^^Correct answer, maybe try to head over for some tailgating if your allowed near the stadium.
    Hell, I'd be looking for tickets!!!!

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool That would be great, but the little woman wouldn’t go to a football game if the Bears were in the Super Bowl and we had free skybox tickets. Oh well, at least she loves barbecue.
      Last edited by Sid P; October 30, 2021, 07:57 AM.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Sid P ....we musta married sisters....drop her off at the nearest mall with a $2K shopping card and head to the game....

There are soooo many great BBQ places less than an hour drive from Austin, and no awful lines either. We ate at Miller's up in Belton last weekend and was fantastic. Same with Brett's Backyard in Rockdale and Louis Mueller's in Taylor (great walking town, too). Check out the Texas Monthly Top 50 list!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Soooo many great spots. I love Austin. So glad my brother got the heck outta SF and moved too Austin.

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike This is our first visit to Austin and we’ll only be there for two days, so we’re not renting a car. I have a road trip in the works where I intend to do some SERIOUS exploring.

Anyone else? Bueller?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Black's, Franklin's, and Salt Lick are the bigger names that I can think of in Austin. I've been to Black's in Lockhart and it was good, especially their jalapeno cheddar sausage.

The way the horns are playing it shouldn’t be a busy weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here