Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calhoun's - Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calhoun's - Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Calhoun's is a family friendly chain restaurant with 9 locations in east TN. I am usually not a fan of chain BBQ places so when the clerk at our Oak Ridge hotel recommended we go there and handed us $5-off coupons at check-in, I was hesitant and immediately dismissed it. But after a 8-ish hour ride from SC to our TN hotel, I wasn't about to ho-hum about where to eat. The rest of family thought it sounded good, so to Calhoun's Oak Ridge location we went!

I was not disappointed.

Typical family chain restaurant atmosphere, but large and on the nicer side. Smelled good of course. The Oak Ridge location has a wall of windows for panoramic views of Melton Lake. Lots of outdoor seating with a fireplace, but it was too chilly for that. Lots of dock areas for boat-up service. Really cool. Heard frogs when we went out to walk on the dock. I miss frogs when my homeland is a frozen white winterscape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	801865Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4024 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	801863Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	801864Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	801870

I ordered the bacon-wrapped brisket burnt ends appetizer. Wasn't disappointed. I was prepared to laugh at what they call brisket but honestly it was really good. I tasted actual smoke. They were tender. They weren't really "burnt ends" so much as they were little square chunks of brisket...but hey I'm probably one of 2 people a month who'd ever notice. The whiskey BBQ sauce they served with it was awesome. At a chain restaurant! I wnated to ask about buying a bottle but forgot.

Decided I'd order the brisket plate entree. Again, I was not disappointed. The tenderness was spot on, the flavor was too. Only negative was that, aside from only half as much meat as I wanted, it was sliced wrong, with the grain instead of against. But that in all honesty doesn't have much of an effect really, IMO it matters more to compliment the tenderness. I also ordered a skewer of grilled shrimp and they were wonderful.

The pics aren't great due to a combination of low lighting and the way the slices were lying.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4027 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	801866Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4030 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	801868Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	801867Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG4029~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	801869

I tried my son's ribs and they were under-seasoned (IMO) but the tenderness was great. The brisket actually had a seasoned bark, lightly, but it was there.

Everyone in our group raved about their meals. It really was top-notch for a chain, and the BBQ was better than I expected. I would definitely go back if I were in the area again.

Nice write up. Glad to know there is another good option out there.

I think when you approach a bbq restaurant or steakhouse with the mindset of "I’m hungry, I want something decent to eat, I want to be the servee not the server, and I am thankful to not have to do the prep or cleanup" then you will find there are some good Q places and steakhouses...

I have had some miserable experiences at bbq or steak places and looking back on it... not all of them were bad and it was mostly my fault that I had a bad experience as I was comparing them to my cooking... we all know the old line “My (fill in the blank) is better than this and it doesn’t cost half as much. Granted some places just aren’t good but most have something worth trying.

As The Legend Mike Mills says... he always finds something to compliment at a Q joint... sometimes it is the glass of tea.

Comment

10-4 on the write up.
      On my bucket list, no, would I eat there now, sure.
      Sounds like the pluses out weighted the minuses and the way it is at most eateries.

Comment

Another great write-up!

Comment

Thanx for doin' this.

Comment

Thanks for sacrificing yourself for the good of the Pit!

Comment

Hey, I have been there. Been a lot of years ago, but it was good back then too, at least I think. They used to serve a yard of beer; I used to order a yard of beer. As soon as I walked in. That's why I say I think it was good.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	yard.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	801944

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks like a specific Dutch beer, which is served in a contraption like that. Good stuff.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Found it, a Kwak beer. Interesting short read about how it came to be: https://belgium.beertourism.com/belg...rs/pauwel-kwak

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik, when I had it they would put anything in that glass. Back then I was drinking Budweiser. Imagine a glass that big filled with Bud... Actually, I still drink Bud from time to time.

Good post Huskee . Your meal looks good to me. Also a nice Mike Mills quote mentioned by Nate . I've eaten at City BBQ (a chain) in Columbus several times and I consider it good and my Grandchildren like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here