Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Trip Northern VA to Nashville - need food recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Trip Northern VA to Nashville - need food recs

I'm heading to Nashville for a conference next week. Just realized this past weekend that when I booked the conference and the hotel, I looked at flights but never actually booked one. Limited options and high prices got me thinking this would be a great opportunity for a road trip without kids or a dog in the car. It's a little longer than I'd prefer to drive solo (probably about 9 hours each way), but I do love a good road trip and the opportunities are few and far between these days so I figure I have to take advantage when/where I can. With a long drive each way and 4 1/2 days in Nashville (thought a lot of my time is booked), the only thing left to decide is where to eat.

I've searched the Pit for Nashville recs and compiled the names of all the places I saw mentioned, with links, below. Haven't checked each one out yet, but figured it was worth asking if anyone had any recommendation that weren't already on the list or think any of these are a 'must try' before doing my own mouthwatering, hunger inducing research.

I'm also interested in any recommendations along 66, 81 or 40 from Centreville, VA on the road to Nashville if there are any out there.

Nashville
    Hattie B's
    Prince's
    Loveless Cafe
    Papa Turney's
    Peg Leg Porker
    Corkey's (Brentwood)
    Edley's
    Martin's
    Puckett's Grocery

Cookeville
    Moogie's

those are all good - my opinion is that if you dont do Loveless you are depriving yourself of a life-altering experience.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I could do a late Sunday dinner there. Should be after peak hours, but I don't mind waiting a bit if necessary since I won't have anything else to do besides fill my belly before a long sleep, uninterrupted by crying kids and an occasional face licks from the dog. Recommend any menu items in particular?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a big fan of their fried chicken, and it's one of the things they are best known for. I'm told the bbq items are excellent, but I hate to go there and not get the thing that I know I love. Now my belly is growling.

• xaugievike
      xaugievike commented
      Editing a comment
      ive not had anything bad there....the hardest part is not filling yourself up on the biscuits before the meal arrives!

Made it to Loveless Cafe last night. Boy, do they know how to fry some chicken! I got the sampler platter, which is 3 meats, 2 sides. Went with the special of the day, which was a Nashville hot fried chicken thigh, a regular fried chicken thigh, and pulled pork with a side of creamed corn and hash brown casserole. You know... health food. I thought the pork was good, not great, but I ate pretty late so it had been quite a while since it was cooked earlier in the day and I'd bet if I was there 5 hours earlier it would have been better. The flavor of the Nashville chicken was really good, but the piece I got was a little overcooked and dry around the outside. The regular fried chicken thigh was amazingly good, cooked as well as a chicken thigh can be cooked. The hash brown casserole was also great. Overall, I'd gladly go back if I find myself in the Nashville area again.

I went to Hattie B's tonight. I really didn't want to do fried chicken on back to back nights, but that's the only way it would fit into my schedule and I wanted to give it a try. It was good, definitely better than average fried chicken, but not as good as Loveless and not worth the 40 minute wait in line and 20 minute wait for the food after ordering. I think that there are enough places to get good (not great) fried chicken that waiting an hour for something a little better than average doesn't seem worth it to me. But I tried it. I enjoyed it. I thought mac and cheese was on par with the chicken, better than average but nothing to rave about. I really liked the potato salad. A lot of bacon flavor comes through even though I couldn't really see any pieces of bacon in there.

I think that is the end of my culinary adventures on this trip, unless I find a place I'd like to stop at during the long drive home. The rest of my time and meals will be spent at this conference, except for a possible trip to the Grand Ole Opry tomorrow night to see Old Crow Medicine Show and a few other performers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here