Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week in Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week in Memphis

I'll be in Memphis all next week, looking for some BBQ suggestions near the convention center.

TIA

Muir

The famous Rendezvous is near there, not sure what else is there since I have not been down there in a very long time. That is also near the Pinch district, I know there used to be a couple good restaurants in that area. Are you staying at a hotel down in that area, if you are be careful down there. If you like fried chicken check out Gus's on Front Street, very good chicken.

Comment

• Niteskie
      Niteskie commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the hotel is right next to the convention center. Be careful as in it's not safe?

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's put it this way, I would not stray too far away from the downtown area. Daytime you should be ok but night time don't stray too far away. The immediate downtown area is pretty safe but if you get a little too far north or south you could run into a problem. Err on the side of caution. Beal Street is pretty good and can get crowded at times but they do have some very good entertainment.

I've been to the Rendezvous a number of times, but last time, we were looking for lunch, and the Vous is not open until 4:30pm on Tues-Thurs. I ended up having some REALLY great baby backs over at B.B. King's on the corner of Beale Street. I hate to say this, but I think they may have actually been better than the ribs at the Rendezvous, or at least that day they were...

In the downtown area, those are the two I would try again for BBQ. Just remember that the Rendezvous is only open for lunch on Friday and Saturday, and is closed both Sunday and Monday.

Comment

A Charter Member from our first year, heck our first month! Great to hear from you! I hope you can take us along with you via pictures, and post them back here after your week is complete.

Comment

• Niteskie
        Niteskie commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't eat BBQ without taking pictures. So if you don't see anything it means I had a sad week of conference food!

Of the places I have been, Rendezvous would be my choice in that area. If you can somehow make it to Central BBQ, try to do that as well. Basically, Last Meal Ribs without the work!

Comment

I have never talked to anyone about the BBQ at BB Kings but I bet they are good, I also did not know Central BBQ had a place downtown. Either of those places would be a good place to go especially for lunch.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          The location I'm thinking of is a couple of miles away, down on Butler Ave. beside the Lorraine Motel. Not quite walking distance, but a short cab ride.

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, from the convention center it would be about a 5 to 10 minute cab ride depending on traffic.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I only went to BB Kings after walking from the Peabody to the Rendezvous and finding out it was closed on Mondays, as well as lunch most days. We ended up at B.B. Kings and did not regret it.

If you have a mode of transportation while you are here you could always drive around 30 to 40 minutes south on I-55 to Horn Lake Mississippi to check out Memphis BBQ Co. It is owned by Melissa Cookston (the winningest woman in BBQ) I have heard it is very good but don't have any first hand knowledge of that. Since I started cooking my own BBQ I don't eat out much any more.
        Last edited by vandy; January 21, 2018, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I also eat my own BBQ more than out these days. My ribs and pulled pork are better than most around town, and I don't want to pay to eat those out so much anymore. I will eat a good steak or seafood out when I don't feel like cooking though.

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I know what you mean, I used to have to travel to Franklin TN for work and when I did we usually tried to go to Stony River Steak House when we were there and it was always very good. Since I don't travel anymore I don't get out much.

• Niteskie
          Niteskie commented
          Editing a comment
          Taxis will be our mode of transportation, so that one is probably not going to work. It was one of the first places I looked when I found out the conference was in Memphis.

I ate at One and Only BBQ in Memphis last week. It was really good. I don’t usually order turkey but the waiter recommended it so I ordered a two meat platter. Ribs were great but the turkey was amazing! Click image for larger version

Name:	76B03EB0-7726-4A28-BF32-B76452477765.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	442396

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I have heard that place is good, may just have to try it out sometime.

• Niteskie
          Niteskie commented
          Editing a comment
          It is on my list but seems to be the furthest from the hotel.

Rendezvous and Central were at the top of my list, and since we'll most likely be doing dinner they should work. I'll keep you posted! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          You will love the Rendezvous, the atmosphere of that place is what keeps it going, IMHO. The ribs are pretty good too! When Charlie Vergo was still alive I loved going down there just to talk to him and watch him work. He was a bigger than life jovial character that everyone who met instantly fell in love with, as did I. I miss him!

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call on those two. Rendezvous is an EXPERIENCE, so take it all in. You can cook those same exact ribs in a PBC, but the service and atmosphere is second to none. Central BBQ is a little more food oriented. Like I said before, Last Meal Ribs without the work!
          Last edited by Steve R.; January 21, 2018, 02:30 AM.

We hit up Edley's in the 12 South area of Nashville, on my way to Memphis now. Hope to have more food pictures to post soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_130614-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	443958

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here