Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Trip to Memphis! Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Trip to Memphis! Any suggestions?

My best BBQ buddy and I are taking off two weeks from now for a long weekend road trip to Memphis. Starting from NW Atlanta, we're taking local roads through Decatur, AL for lunch at Big Bob Gibson's. Then it's on to Memphis, should be there early PM. So we have Friday night dinner, lunch and dinner Saturday and lunch Sunday before heading back.

Other than Charlie Virgo's, are there any "don't pass up" places in Memphis we need to eat at? Or should we just go down to Beale St. and take our chances?

TIA for any suggestions!

Bill

P.S. Melissa Cookston's place is also on the menu, almost forgot. So that's 2 out of 4 meals dedicated.

Don't forget the pics or you would not have eaten.

Comment

Haven't eaten at any Memphis places. Big Bob Gibson's is guuuud. Pick up some of their sauces. I like the habanero best, but the others are good too, especially the white sauce.

Comment

Been a couple years since I was in Memphis. I had a hard time gettin' off of Beale. Something about music and alcohol. BB King's was good, Ground Zero Blues at the other end had great appetizers and music...cheap drinks. As a Canadian, anywhere but home is cheap drinks. Have a great time.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ergo, The Fallacy in the States that raising the Sin Taxes will eliminate the Sinners? I grew up 10 Miles South of the Canada and I never met a Canadian who didn't drink! Liquor in Canada was 2 X $ at home! An Old Friend Once Said if the Prices kept increasing it would get to it's Worth! Dan

Central BBQ

Comment

• Mpryan
          Mpryan commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on central bbq
          Corkys was pretty good too

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Corky's.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out Central and Corky's.

Comment

billg71 I moved this to BBQ Restaurant Roundup > Tennessee. Check out the parent channel here for TN, there are few other topics listed for Memphis, maybe you'll find them helpful. Have fun!

Comment

Thanks, Huskee! I'll do that.

Comment

The Cottage

Comment

we stopped in Memphis for lunch on the way to Destin last year. It just so happened to be the start of Memphis in May and the day B.B. King died. $40 to park 2 cars and every joint on Beale street was packed at noon on a thursday. I Dont recommend doing it the way we did.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here