Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fäviken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fäviken

So, I finally pulled the trigger and made a reservation. Fäviken is a top notch restaurant located in the north of Sweden. I had to set the alarm to get up at midnight to make a reservation for March 19 next year. I am really looking forward to it. They only serve 24 people in total each night, so it's a small place.

If you have Netflix they have a show called Chef's Table, and they featured Magnus Nilsson (the chef) in season 1, episode 6. It's worth checking out.

I think we're gonna drive up, it's a 6 hour drive, and we're staying the night before heading back home.

I'll report back when I've been there.

Most interesting, and we only have to wait 7 mos. for the report. Place must be very special. You know I’m going to say it, don’t forget the pics! It almost sounds exclusive enough where you might not be able to. Nonetheless, enjoy. Can’t wait.

Comment

You'd have no trouble waitin' in line at Franklin Barbeque Henrik - that's only 3 or 4 hours.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true:-)

That place is amazing, Magnus is cutting edge. Lucky you !!!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, it’s not gonna be cheap, but I will savour every minute!

That's fantastic, Henrik! FWIW, also on Netflix, Magnus Nilsson is featured in season 3 of "The Mind of a Chef" (18 or so episodes as I recall).

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! Didn’t know that, I’m gonna watch that very soon!

Awesome!! I've seen the episodes mentioned as they aired. I can't wait for the report.

Comment

Will be fantastic. Restaurants with Michelin stars are always interesting. Creative chefs, but they usually set the menu and you don’t get a choice. Enjoy whatever he is serving that night.

Comment

And we want photos if allowed...

Comment

Yesterday we finally visited Fäviken. It is run by chef Magnus Nilsson. He was featured in the Netflix show Chef's Table, in season 1, episode 5. Go check it out if you haven't seen it.

This is luxury dining, they have two Michelin stars. The place is located out in the country side, quite far away from everything really. They only have 24 seats, so it's an intimate restaurant. As you can see from the original post I booked a table in september, so we had to wait almost 6 months.

The restaurant is an old but restored barn, so it's a very cozy setting. Even though the food and service is top class it doesn't
            feel snobby at all.

We spent all Tuesday driving, it took 8 hours to get there. And then 8 hours back on Wednesday. But boy, was it worth it! I think this was one of my best restaurant and food experiences ever. The service was absolutely impeccable, and so was the food. Every tiny dish was so carefully thought out it was amazing.

Here are some photos and text describing our food trip.

The place from far away (as you can see it's desolate)

Click image for larger version

Name:	House-1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	653138

A little bit closer

Name:	House-2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	653139

And we're here

Name:	House-3.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	653140

Comment

Since it was a long drive we stayed the night. You can also get a cab to the nearest village, but we thought it better to stay there. They have 5 rooms. It felt like a fancy hunter's lodge or similar.

Name:	Room-1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	653145

Name:	Room-2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	653146

Name:	Room-3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	653147

Of course we started our evening in the Sauna, what else? Check out the view!

Name:	Sauna.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	653148

Comment

This is a place where you don't order, instead, you book an evening. They take care of everything, you just enjoy the ride. We were welcomed in at 6:30 PM in a lounge area downstairs in the barn. We were served champagne and some of their own charcuterie. Then they started serving dishes, one after another, at a well thought out pace. After 4-5 dishes we were moved upstairs to the loft where we were seated at tables. They had one communal table and a few 2/4 seat tables. I picked the latter, as I was there with my wife.

I was amazed at the almost military precision (in a good sense) by which the food was brought up and served. Every dish was announced with two quick and loud claps, followed by a brief explanation of what we were to eat (and how, if needed), in a loud clear voice. Most dishes were tiny, but that was good, since we were served 36 (!) in total. With a full wine/beverage pairing.

They had changed not only the size and order of the dishes, but also the timing in between, which effectively controlled the rhythm. It was utterly amazing! They made everything themselves. The butter, the bread, all pickled vegetables, the fish bouillon, you name it. What struck me was the complexity in flavors in every dish. Extremely well thought out.

Some of the staff in action (kitchen was downstairs, this was just the last prep). All tables were served at the exact same time. There were probably twice as many staff as guests.

Name:	Staff.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	653154

We sat from 6:30pm to a little after 11pm, but time flew, we just sat there with smiles on our faces enjoying some incredible food.

Here are some photos of the food.

Juniper smoked scallops

Name:	Juniper_smoked_scallops.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	653158

King crab, grilled hot 'n fast. This was just perfect. Felt like they had SVed the crab inside, but no, it was just grilled. With 'almost burnt' cream (cream reduced in a hot cast iron pan until it thickens).

Name:	King_crab.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	653155

Oyster 'steak', the oyster was treated like steak. Fry it for a few seconds in a real hot pan, then remove. Outside seared, inside raw. To be eaten with the beech branches as forks.

Name:	Oyster_steak.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	653156

Cups made of dried pig's blood, filled with fish eggs from trout. Delicious!

Name:	Pigsblood_and_fisheggs.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	653157

Comment

Here's a real tasty one: braised pig's head, that was then deep fried. With rhubarb on top and tarragon salt. Just incredible!

Name:	Braised_pigs_head.jpg
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	653163

Here's a new take on quail's eggs. These were done Icelandic style. on Iceland they don't have too many trees, so they fire their smoke houses with sheep shit. So these eggs were smoked, then rolled in the ashes from smoke house sheep shit. It formed a hard crust, so we peeled them before eating them.

Name:	Smoked_quail_eggs1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	653164

Name:	Smoked_quail_eggs2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	653165

Comment

• gcdmd
                    gcdmd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The nest is a nice touch in presentation.

• NapMaster
                    NapMaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you say sheep shit?? 🤣

And here are some of the desserts. This first one was interesting. Bone marrow pudding, which was covered in rhum, which they set fire to. Then dropped a bowl of ice cream into it. A bit strange to eat bone marrow as dessert, but the flavor combinations were fantastic, it was real good!

Name:	Bone_marrow_pudding1.jpg
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	653168

Name:	Bone_marrow_pudding2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	653170

Here's some home made candy. I liked the smoked caramel (small brown cubes).

Name:	Candy.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	653169 ​​​​​​​

Comment

We had some other smoked food: smoked veal which was fantastic. And smoked ham and smoked mousse heart.

I'm completely blown away at what some creative people can do with food. It was such an incredible experience it will take a few days to let it all sink in. A visit to Fäviken is almost a must for a foodie. Unbelievable! I've only shared a few of the photos, we had so many dishes my head was spinning after a while.

I finished it all off with a bourbon, named Rip van Winkle, 10 year old. I haven't heard of it before, but it was a good bourbon.

Comment

• BRic
                      BRic commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for sharing , love the pics , the food looks awesome.!

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rip Van Winkle is one of the rare bourbons from Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky USA. Not as rare & expensive as Pappy Van Winkle, but to me it's just as rare!

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Huskee, might see if I can find some to buy. Either Rip or Pappy. Always good fun trying new brands, and I do like my bourbon!

Awesome. What an incredible adventure. 👍👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here