Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lewis Barbecue - Charleston SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JonnyB
    commented on 's reply
    This is the article that helped Aaron explode onto the national BBQ scene. This was 2012.
    It was the first time I had ever heard of him, and its an excellent article. Goes pretty deep on his history.

John Mueller was the heir to one of the great Texas barbecue dynasties. Aaron Franklin was an unknown kid from College Station who worked his counter. John had it all and then threw it all away. Aaron came out of nowhere to create the state’s most coveted brisket. Then John rose from the ashes.

• JonnyB
    commented on 's reply
    La Barbecue isn't his, but he was pitmaster there before opening his own place there in SC. There's like a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing going on there. Aaron Franklin worked for John Mueller at his first BBQ place in Austin for awhile. John is the brother of LeAnn and Wayne Mueller, who now runs Louie Muellers Barbecue in Taylor, Tx. Aaron bought his first pit from John when he went out of business. John Lewis worked for Aaron and then went to work for LeAnn Mueller at La Barbecue.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    This may put Charleston back on my radar listing. I haven't been there since the 90's but remember its charm and especially its seafood. Add some well crafted Texas style bbq and it becomes an instant destination for me.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    grantgallagher to be honest, the thought crossed my mind while I was eating and getting those pics but I was too shy to go back in and ask. I'm not the type to do that kinda thing really. But yeah, maybe next time.

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Not to mention the opportunity for some shameless free promotion of AR, lol.

Im just kidding, i didnt get the chance when i was there but even with your standing here im not sure i would have felt comfortable doing that. I would have totally just went for the family pic.

As you said, next time, just a reason to go back.

• Huskee
    replied
    In hindsight now I wish I had introduced myself to John and got a pic with him. Sigh...next year....

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Cool! I have zero doubts that it can and will be as reputable as Franklin. Not being the synonymous-with-beef-BBQ state of Texas it may take longer, but the service, the food, the establishment itself, everything was top notch. If Lewis BBQ were a reasonable driving distance from me, I would be fat and broke and lose my fire-tending skills. This much is true.

• Troutman
    replied
    Interestingly enough I was flipping through my phone and they posted an article on Goggle, Best BBQ Joint Per State. Now normally I would pass on such a ridiculous, biased, and totally subjective writing but the cover picture was none other than Lewis BBQ in Charleston (with of course that named as the best in SC). I thought that was a little bit of kismet for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    I love Charleston but am somewhat surprised a Texas guy and is 'cue showed up on the scene. Glad to see further Lone Star invasions, nice write up Aaron.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    BourBonQ indeed! I'll give you notice if we go again next year maybe we can meet up for a beer, or a bourbon

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee in that case, a pilgrimage to Scott's original BBQ shack in Hemingway is in order for your next trip to the lowcountry. And maybe a stop at Sweatman's in Holly Hill.

• Scott H
    replied
    Great write-up! I’ll be sure to hit Lewis on my next trip to Charlestown!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Alas, we left SC Saturday. You're the 3rd or 4th to recommend Scott's though, we just couldn't make it happen this time but we want to make this an annual getaway so hopefully next time!

• BourBonQ
    replied
    Lewis is why I can't stick to any kind of new year's resolution!

Rodney Scott's for ribs and pulled pork ain't half bad either if you're still in town...

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Cool! I have yet to really look up his bio, didn't know La Barbecue was his place.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here