Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina BBQ places?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Carolina BBQ places?

I might be making a trip to SC to stay at a beachfront place in the next couple weeks, heavy emphasis on might. Wife is trying to put together a last minute trip and if it works out cool. It could be anywhere from Murrells Inlet (where my uncle lives) south toward Hilton Head. Heck, it could even be up in NC, we're just kicking tires for some last minute deals right now.

Update: trip is on, lodging paid for. Murrels Inlet/ Pawleys Island area.

If you know of any must-go places near those areas lease share.

Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway isn’t too far out of the way on the way to Pawleys. I go there several times a year, and it’s like a 5 minute detour or something. Best pork on the planet.

Comment

I’ve not been to the original location, but Rodney Scott’s recently opened a location here in Birmingham. It’s whole hog bbq. I need to go back in and give the pork a try, but their wings are pretty good. I know, I know, but I was craving wings when I went in that day. Was neat seeing the pits, they’ve got large windows between pits and dining area.

Im assuming the Charleston location is similar.

Comment

I have been to Scott's In Hemingway as well as Rodney Scott's BBQ and Lewis BBQ in Charleston...All three are exceptional...

Comment

• parkerj2
          parkerj2 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1. The first time I visited the original, I think I passed out it was so good.

Thanks guys. I have noted those. If we pass through or near those spots at lunch or dinner time I will run it by the group for any of those. Appreciate it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice to see you nailed it down to the east coast.

Member of the South Carolina BBQ association here.

This is the SCBA's list of BBQ restaurants worth driving 100 miles for posted on their website. I live in Columbia, so I haven't been to many places on the coast, but I thought Rodney Scott's place in Charleston was fantastic.

Comment

@Huskee..make a run to Charleston, SC and try The Swig and Swine (really good BBQ and a great choice of bourbons!). As others have said, you gotta try Rodney Scotts. Also, consider Bessinger's BBQ (supposedly the place that made mustard-based sauce great). For good whole pig barbeque, also try Sweatman's BBQ in in Holly Hill, SC. Then, there's the standby The OmegaDog's Place in Orangeburg, SC. (about 3 hrs. away from Murrell's Inlet, SC). Give me a 2 day notice and I have a prime rib in the freezer with your name on it and I'll invite 6 or 8 of my best BBQ buddys to join us! Seriously, when you go to Murrells Inlet, you go for the seafood. Enjoy your time in my state. BTW, the low here was a chilly 38 degrees - cold for us!
          The OmegaDog

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            What a kind gesture. However, I will be traveling with a group of 8...so... (next time!) And yeah I have gathered that M.I. is a seafood mecca, that works equally as well for me as BBQ~

@Huskee..when you go to Murrells Inlet, you go for seafood, not BBQ. As others have said, Rodney Scotts is the nearest place for really great whole hog BBQ. Drive for 2 hrs. and visit Charleston, SC - go to The Swig and Swine (great BBQ and an outstanding collection of bourbons) and Bessinger's BBQ (they made mustard-based sauce great again). Finally, the old standby - OmegaDog's Place in Orangeburg, SC. Give me a 2 day notice and I'll pull out that prime rib I've had in the freezer saving for a special occasion!
          The OmegaDog

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            parkerj2 what are some places, seafood or just good food otherwise, that you'd rec in the M.I. or Myrtle or Surfside areas? Not sure where I might end up, looking more & more like that grouping. My wife & I want to sneak away kidless one night for a nice anniversary dinner too.

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee Hot Fish Club is good fried/cheap eats, along with good live music, etc. for a cold beer at night. Really, anywhere along the marshwalk is great for a drink and a walk. For a nicer meal Bovine's is good (Haven't been in a while, though). A little south in Litchfield is a place called The Fish House that is pretty good and they use local stuff (many claim to, but do not, FYI). I used to live in the area and many places have stopped buying local.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            parkerj2 My aunt/uncle from Murrels said the only place on the the list of recommendations here that they don't care for is Bovines. So it must have gone downhill since you last visited. Hot Fish Club and Fish House they like. They also recommended to me Frank's & Frank's Outback, Claw House, Wicked Tuna, Grahams Landing (said that's where they locals go for seafood), Greg's Cabana, J Peters, and Quigley's. A buddy also rec. to me River City Cafe for amazing burgers. Know any of these?

Grab some Texas Barbecue from the man at the epicenter of the Craft barbecue movement, John Lewis, Jr.! I have 4 pits built by his dad and/or his design. Met John at the 17th St Barbecue class - a bona fide expert and pitmaster!! His restaurants are in Charleston.

Meat John Lewis, a master of barbecue and founder of Lewis Barbecue in Charleston, SC. John never cuts corners, unless you’re talking about burnt ends of course.

Comment

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            +10000000000

• dahcopilot
            dahcopilot commented
            Editing a comment
            you can't find bad food in charleston

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Went there, was as advertised, thank you all parkerj2 dahcopilot

Update, our trip is officially on! We'll be in the Murrels Inlet/Pawleys Island area late next week and the week after.

parkerj2 OmegaDog12 dahcopilot jingleheimer15
          Does anyone know if Moe's BBQ in Pawleys/Litchfield is good? I've read mostly good but still quite mixed reviews. I trust y'all more than random, easily impressed (or absurdly picky) Google reviewers.

My uncle & aunt, (retired detective & state trooper, respectively) moved to Murrels several years back so I'll be getting some "where the locals go" tips too. I'd rather avoid the flashy-but-mediocre tourist trap places and go where the locals recommend, both seafood & BBQ.

We'll be doing a lot of cooking in too (renting a house) so lunches & dinners out will be limited. A family of 5 can sap the budget eating out 3 meals a day. Unfortunately the home we're staying in doesn't allow charcoal grills (what?!!) but they do have a gasser. Thankfully I know how to make a gasser become a smoker with foil and chunks or pellets.

Comment

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Moe's is OK - I think. My brother catered his wedding reception/party thing after his destination wedding from Moe's but I don't really recall. I have been there to have a beer and watch a football game and it's a decent spot for that.

• au4stree
            au4stree commented
            Editing a comment
            Moe's is a Birmingham start up, at least the owners live in Bham metro. Their bbq is good, but not one I'd make a special trip to eat. When it was just a few stores around town they were better, but as they've grown, so went the quality. My favorite thing are the wings, my boys and I love those as they are how I tend to cook them at home. Sorry this is a late response.

I'll be heading out soon. (Don't worry we have a house sitter so none of y'all can rob my cookers, ha ha!). If anyone thinks of any really great BBQ places between MI and SC, by way of OH, WV, VA, NC, along major routes, please share. On our return trip we'll head through TN so my wife and her mom can see the town she was born in....so through GA possibly the Atlanta bypass, TN, KY, IN, OH back to MI.

Thanks

Comment

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Coming down that direction, visiting Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, SC is not out of the way (bring cash). Be ready to wait in line! When you get to MI/Pawley's, visit the marshwalk area. Avoid creek ratz, other than drinks outside if it's nice.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            parkerj2 Wasn't able to hit Scott's. We do plan to visit the area again, hopefully we can make this trip an annual thing, so I'll remember this and will try next time.

You'll have a great time in that area! One of the places we've enjoyed eating at in Pawley's is the Pawley's Island Tavern, commonly known as The PIT. You have to be looking for it to find it as it is behind some shops on Hwy 17. If you do make the journey to Charleston and want a walking tour, you should look-up walkingcharleston.com. Great native Charlestonian tour guide! Have a safe trip!!
          Last edited by smokinsteve; January 29, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            How could I forget about the PIT!! One of my favorite places but haven't been in a while. It's best this time of year too - gets busy during the tourist season.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            We visited Charleston but didn't have time for tours. We just visited Lewis BBQ, then the 'pineapple' fountain that my wife remembered, spotted some dolphins out from the pier, then headed to Isle of Palms on our way back. Thanks for the tip though, we do plan to make this a repeat getaway so I will remember this for the the future.

Well, we spent 9 nights in Pawleys Island, SC. Visited Hog Heaven BBQ just a mile from where we stayed (4 out of 10, not real BBQ), Lewis BBQ in Charleston (9.5/10, amazing) and Calhoun's in Oak Ridge, Tennessee (9/10, way better than I expected). I'll do reviews on them and put them in the SC & TN BBQ Joints channels but that's the abridged version. Never made it to Moe's or PIT. Found a gourmet burger hot spot in Surfside recommend to me by my nephew who honeymooned there a few years ago, River City Cafe. Outstanding burgers. Went there 3x, that's how much we all loved it. Wife & I's anniversary dinner was there...of all places to celebrate your 18th anniversary, a burger place, but there's a story behind that choice.

Gained 7lbs, spent millions (felt like it), and enjoyed every second of it until the blizzard we had to drive through traipsing back through Michigan, the last 5-6hrs of the drive home was 25-35mph on I-75 and US 10 last night in the snow storm. Couldn't see lanes. Fun. My home state apparently felt scorned that I had a good time elsewhere and decided to welcome us back as only she can.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you make it back safely and I can attest to a good 'ol burger.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here