Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scott's BBQ, old school SC classic whole hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott's BBQ, old school SC classic whole hog

Surprised this one wasn't on The Pit list. THIS is true, old school SC 'cue. Located off the beaten path in the tiny town of Hemingway, SC, not far from Georgetown, Florence and Myrtle Beach. Pilgramages are made to this place from far and wide. BBQ enthusiasts should really put this one on their bucket list.

This article pretty much sums it up....

Nearby is a competition sporting clays course at Backwoods Quail Club, makes for one helluva day, world class clays and 'cue. Take some friends, family or business clients, you will not be disappointed.
    "Southern Hospitality At It's Finest!* Offering deer, quail, turkey, and pheasant hunting. Sporting clays, Trap, Skeet, 5-Stand and Pistol/Rifle Range.

Rodney Scott just recently opened up a counter service location in downtown Charleston, which is outstanding in its own right.

That guy was on 'Man, Fire, Food' , he's got a serious operation going there !!!

Comment

I haven't been there, but a friend who visited did bring back a bottle of Scott's sauce--nice, thin, and vinegary. It was a revelation for me after having only had KC style sauces in my early days.

Comment

Cut/Chop/Cook

I have had this video saved for years. I have always wanted to make my way there.

CUT/CHOP/COOK profiles Rodney Scott of Scott's Bar-B-Q in Hemingway, South Carolina. Says Scott, "We only cook with wood and I'm so sure that we only cook with wood because we go out and chop it ourselves." Monday through Wednesday, you'll find Scott doing just that, cutting down trees and chopping wood, and Thursday through Saturday he burns that wood down into coals that he uses to cook a half-dozen whole hogs every night.

Comment

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Lonnie mac, great video, first time I've seen it. Thanks for sharing. That really gives a sense of what Rodney Scott's place is all about.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        This guy is the real deal......

I’m in !

Comment

While vacationing on Kiawah Island we drove into Charleston and went to Rodney Scott Barbecue, his new place. I have very high standards having had barbecue from Lockhart, TX to Lexington, NC and most points in-between. The whole hog at Rodney Scott's was THE best barbecue I've ever had. I can do smoky. I can do tender. I can do juicy. I can usually do two of the three. Rodney Scott managed all three with some extra goodness I can't even come up with a name for. The only drawback was the 3 pounds we took back to the island. It didn't reheat well but the quart of sauce came back to TN in fine shape. Don't miss it if you're in the "Holy City". He'll even show you around the pits if you ask.

Comment

The man definitely knows BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here