Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swig & Swine in Charleston, SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swig & Swine in Charleston, SC

Was in Charleston this past weekend and my great friend (and chef of a great restaurant called S.N.O.B.) took me to a fantastic BBQ place in West Ashley. If in the area you should really check out Swig & Swine (http://swigandswinebbq.com). Had their 2-meat plate and got the pork belly and the brisket. Both were fantastic!

Thanks, Jlock for the recommendation. Went to swig and swine a recent trip to Charleston and was duly impressed with their brisket. Great sides, atmosphere, and choice of brews. Their friendly staff even showed me around their smoker rigs, one of which is proudly displayed in the front of the store. They man their smokers 24hrs a day and it shows. I'll head there next time I'm in Charleston. There are lots of choices in Charleston for BBQ and would never have discovered this great place without the Pit!

Comment

Wow I been sleeping on this one - first I have heard of them, but I am on the opposite side of Charlestion just over the Berkeley county line. We'll have to chek them out next time we are over in the West Ashley area. Thanks for the review!

Comment

Ok - we finally were able to make it to West Ashley and met some friends at Swig and Swine.

I read up on the owners and they were once part owners of 82 Queen - a very well established high-end restaurant in historic downtown Charleston, so I my expectations grew a bit. We had heard good things about Swig and Swine from several people - including this thread.

We got there right at opening on a Sunday to try and beat the church / holiday crowds.

We decided to share their Family Platter which was $38 - it came with a generous sampling of all of their meats plus 3 sides.

We also ordered a couple of additional sides.

Overall the meat was good, but the sides stole the show!

Here is the rundown on the meat (from best to least favorite):

1. Brisket - very juicy with a nice flavor.
        2. Chicken wings - incredible flavor with a nice BBQ sauce glaze.
        3. Smoked pork belly - nice and juicy, but not over smoked as some make it.
        4. Smoked turkey - very moist and tender - not dry at all.
        5. Ribs - they were good with a MMD type of savory dry rub, but everyone said mine on the PBC were better.
        6. Smoked Sausage - had a nice texture and flavor (smoked sausage is not a favorite of mine to begin with)
        7. Pulled pork - wasn't bad, but kind of dry. Everyone agreed the pork butts I do on the PBC are much better.

Here is the rundown on sides (from best to least favorite):

1. Baked beans with brisket burnt ends - super taste with fresh beans -- no canned stuff here fellas!
        2. Potato salad - wow! This stuff tasted like a stuffed baked potato. Had more of a sour cream than a mayonnaise-y taste. Lots of chives!
        3. Hash and rice - was leery about hash; if it isnt done right it can be God-awful. this was done right and it was very tasty. Nice texture, not too runny.
        4. Freshly made pork rinds with hot vinegar sauce - they were still crackling when served. They were awesome fresh - the sauce was a bit hot for some.
        5. Mac and Cheese - very good home made mac and cheese with bread crumbs on top. Very good cheese sauce.
        6. Cheese grits - they were good. Not a thing wrong with them, but the others were just that much better!

They have 4 sauces on the table: Sweet Red, Carolina Mustard, Spicy Vinegar (Eastern NC style) and Alabama White (mayo based).
        All were good, but I didn't try the white sauce - mayo on BBQ just seems wrong!
        Also, if you ask they have a jalapeno BBQ sauce they will bring to your table - it was the best of the lot; very sweet with a spicy aftertaste!

We shared the special of the day for dessert: Freshly made cinnamon rolls with pecans - they were very, very good!

The service was great. Server was very friendly and attentive and the food came out FAST!

Since it was early Sunday we decided to pass of the beer and wine, but they have a great selection of craft brews as well as high-end bourbons and whiskeys. Maybe next time.

Long story short - if you are in the neighborhood definitely try them out. Good food, reasonable prices and great service.

The sides were the stars of the show which was unexpected; but the meat was decent enough.

I'll be getting the brisket and wings next time for sure!!
        Last edited by HC in SC; December 30, 2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Here are some pics of their cookers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	46126

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	46128

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	46129

Comment

Great review HC! Love the pics!

Comment

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              Next time you are down this way stop by and check it out - nice, friendly place with really good food.

It is just down Hwy 17 in West Ashely from Thomas Bessinger's place.

I'm excited to have found this. I live about an hour from Charleston, so I'll be checking this out next time I'm down there. Thanks for the thorough review, HC. Good info there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here