Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Heaven in Your Mouth - Rodney Scott's BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Heaven in Your Mouth - Rodney Scott's BBQ

I had the opportunity to visit Charleston last week and the whole reason it was high on my list to visit, was a chance to go to Rodney Scott's BBQ. Well, we showed up about 15 minutes before opening and me, loving to bbq and having dreams of my own, peaked in the pit room. After being shown everything and taking some pics, then it was time to go join the rest of my part in line. Only about a 10 minute wait and we were in the doors and ordering. I ordered the whole hog plate (go for what it's known for) and almost 1 of every side. The wife ordered the ribs and the other sides I didn't and the other couple got the whole hog plate and still something else I hadn't ordered.

First, let's start with the whole hog, whatever that man is doing, I wish I knew how. That hog plate had such freaking delicious flavor and was so tender...Yeah, I ate it all! Got some mac & cheese, potato salad, corn bread & baked beans as the sides and all of them were absolutely on point. Friends that were with also got the whole hog plate and cole slaw and said everything was killer. Now, onto what was actually to my surprise, the best part of the meal...those spare ribs. They were unbelievably tender and had such an amazing flavor. Didn't fall off the bone, which I find very nice. Absolutely a 10 out of 10 rib. I'm proud of mine, and everybody at the table said these were the best ribs they'd ever had. The wife's sides were mac & cheese and Collard Greens....they were freaking amazing also.

Overall, I absolutely recommend stopping by if you have the chance. Amazing food, great service. I easily give this place a 10!
    Attached Files

I'm 3/4 if the way through his book/cookbook, if you are a fan of his cooking you have to pick up his book. It also looks into his personal life. Good overall read with great techniques and recipes.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      I just received his cookbook in the mail a few days ago and look forward to reading.

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Rodney’s story & book are incredible. His rubs (recipes are in the book) are also incredible.

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Cubbiehawkbbqfan commented
      Editing a comment
      It's definitely on my list of upcoming books. I'm working on a few of em right now, lol.

Thank you for posting this. Looks like a great time and some great food

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      It was bucket list and it outdid my expectations!

GREAT write up. Thank you 🙏

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely make the trip there next time I visit family in South Carolina

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      Just love bbq and if it's good, ya gotta let the world know!

I want to make a pilgrimage to his place SO bad!!!

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      Ya gotta do it...especially if ya love pork. I didn't try the brisket (it looked great) or the chicken (again looked great), all I wanted was whole hog and then my wife gets ribs everywhere she goes. So, it worked out perfectly.

Thanks for posting.... visiting Rodney’s restaurant is on my bucket list.

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      We were deciding between Charleston/Savannah and New Orleans...Rodney's was on my bucket list and that made the decision for us. It is absolutely worth going to.

My wife and I went ramblin' around South Carolina back in 2008 and Scott's original shack was on our list. Nothing fancy, just SC hog done right. Whole Hog is in another realm; the sum of the parts is better than any individual cut. We're gonna do another road trip up to Charleston over the Christmas holidays and hope to visit his place.

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      I wish I had more time to go back again, lol. It was amazing. I bet the original place was amazing...just because it's what bbq is about.

Wow! That looks so good!! I really have to visit Rodney's joint when I get to travel again. Will definitely check out his book.

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't give it a higher recommendation...It was amazing.

Started writing about SC BBQ in 2012 when my wife suggested we go on a Summer BBQ Tour. The very first place we visited -- long before even he knew who he would become -- was Rodney's parents' place in Hemingway, SC, Scott's BBQ. Rodney, of course, ended up leaving his parents to start his own thing and has done okay on his own.

Rodney Scott's rib recipe was something he shared with the Today Show a while back, but of course, it is now available in his book, Rodney Scott's World of BBQ. There are also a couple of youtube videos with him discussing how he makes them. I cut them up and combined them into a single video when I was working on his ribs recipe article.

I think one of the interesting points he makes is he adds his rub on at the last minute and warns NOT to rub it in or put it on too soon as it makes the ribs too salty.

Comment

Yup, old Rodney's place is definitely on the Bucket List.

Comment

• Cubbiehawkbbqfan
        Editing a comment
        I wonder if there's a thread called bucket list? Where everyone just says what's on their bbq bucket list...

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea, go ahead and start one, bet it would get lots of reaction

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here