Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Joint Disappointments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainMike
    replied
    The best BBQ joint in The Great State of Jefferson is my deck. In my humble opinion.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    It’s not you my friend. It is the Amazing Wibs effect. You may think yer cookin is just ok but by most standards, restaurants that is, yer exceptional. The "joints" that are exceptional get written about, especially if they’re not in Texas or KC etc. it’s all in the Pit & it’s wonderful here.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    On the subject of marsala, there was a place in Charlotte that made really good chicken marsala and it was on a buffet! I tried to duplicate it and it was terrible. I am going to have to try Carrabbas

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, but Memphis is 6 hours away. I am really thinking my attitude has changed because of the people here. What used to be good is maybe not so good anymore.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    I agree, but I used to find lot's of BBQ joints I liked. There was a place a couple of blocks from where I grew up that had great ribs. And the Wabash Inn in downtown Chicago made some baby backs that made me almost cry they were so good. I am just referring to BBQ; I seem to be able to find other great restaurant cuisine just fine, even when it is something I can make well at home.

• JoeSousa
    replied
    There are about 8 barbecue restaurants here in town but there is only 1 that is worth going to for people who know what good barbecue can be. Their brisket is the best restaurant brisket I have had outside of Texas. Most of the other places just slather everything in sauce (even the brisket) and call it bbq. I know a bunch of people who like those places and rave about them but I can only think they have never had really good bbq.

Steaks on the other hand... I haven't paid for a steak in a restaurant in a long time. When I travel for work (if that ever happens again) I will get a steak if it is on someone's expense account mostly because most of the people I work with know me as the meat guy and it is expected. Some of them are from high end restaurants and they are good but as I am eating I am always nitpicking and thinking of what they did wrong while cooking it. And I hate that I am critical like that while everyone else is probably eating the best steak they will eat all year.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I often complain to my wife that I can cook this or that better than a restaurant, so don't think you are alone. And I don't consider it being big headed either. When you go to a steak house, your steak is just one of many steaks the cook is cookin'. They can't give it the attention you give your food at home. And you know exactly how you like your steak cooked. That might be 132° or 141° and you can pull it so that it will be at the proper temp when it hits your plate. The restaurant cook can't do that, and it has to sit 'till your waitperson has time to serve it too.

I do love Carrabba's marsala chix and have not been able to duplicate it at home, and there are other things like that too, so restaurants do have their place. And sometimes I just don't feel like cookin'.

Leave a comment:

• fracmeister
    replied
    I am so glad to liv in Texas. There are so many reasons.Memphis?

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    started a topic BBQ Joint Disappointments

BBQ Joint Disappointments

Maybe it is just me and the fact that I am a part of this group, but I haven't been able to find a good BBQ place I can oohhh and ahhh over in years. I have visited most of the places here in Chattanooga and I have not been satisfied, been to several places in the Atl area (but not Fox Bros yet; they have a good rep), Detroit and Toledo, OH, a couple places in the Charlotte area and in New Orleans (to be fair, when I am in NO BBQ is far down the list of what I want to eat) as well as a few other places. I went to Interstate and Rendezvous in Memphis years ago and I was impressed, but it is quite a drive to visit them. I am too far from TX and KC to just drop in and try some places. I don't think I was quite this picky before you people messed with my mind and taste buds. So my question is, am I alone in this? I'd hate to think my head has grown so big that I think my product is better that the "professionals".

Of course, depending on who you ask, the answer might be that my head is big anyway, and I think I know way more than I actually do about just about everything (you married guys will know who has that opinion).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here