Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 33 BBQ Joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 33 BBQ Joints?

Thrillist has posted their list of 33 best BBQ joints. Let the arguments begin!
    Dig into the smokiest, juiciest, worth-braving-the-lines barbecue this nation has to offer.

You do have a mean streak! 😁 stir it up and sit back.

Comment

I’ve only had the pleasure of eating in about 6 on the list and I have to agree with her on those. Unfortunately, as many of us have discovered, there are lots of pits located next to gas stations or under a few trees by the side of the road who can probably produce equal or even better BBQ than those on the list, and they will never even get a mention. That is just how the world works.
      My only regret when lists come out like this is that people will flock to them and bypass so many equal or better places on the way.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        My only regret when lists come out like this is that people will flock to them and bypass so many equal or better places on the way.
        Yup

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true, but this is where Yelp comes through to help out the little guys.

I can attest to 17th Street.
      I think I enjoyed their smoked wings and fried pickles the most though. Plus the beer that was branded for them was good too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF36CCB0-E47B-4DBD-BFAD-F5AEFFBA7DD9.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	731072

Name:	6DB93839-C4E3-4767-8FB2-922C85E03C84.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	731073

Name:	F1CCAAC0-8D54-43ED-B526-B148D82D2BB8.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	731074

Comment

Great article, thanks fer sharin!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Been to most of those in the Carolina's.

Comment

I now have lots of great ideas for road trips!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Happy Trails, when all yall do so, Brother!

Lookin forward to yer stories, take us, vicariously, Please????

Nice attempt but I can think of 50 within a 100 mile radius of my house. Way too subjective to even attempt imo. BBQ has gotten way too big and popular.

On a side note they mention Feges here in Houston. It’s literally in a food court at the bottom of a high rise complex I work in. It’s good, actually very good at times, but no where near the best nationally speaking. Just goes to show you, opinions are like belly buttons.....

Comment

I’ve eaten at three of the places on the list, and I can think of a few other places that that I have eaten at that should replace two

Comment

I've been wanting to try the Skylight Inn for a looong time, but it's just too far for a lunch run...

I've been to ZZQ several times and really enjoyed it, but my friends tell me my beef ribs are better.

Edit to add that I have been to Franklin BBQ which was outstanding and La Barbecue which was a notch below Franklin, but also a much shorter line.
                Last edited by RonB; August 17, 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Skyliight is a trip back in time. Do it.

I love reading about good bbq joints, but I don’t put any stock in the list unless I see the list of everywhere they went.

I have that Peace Love Barbecue book, but I can’t find it. It’s a wonderful book.

Comment

Been to none of these, and doubt I'll be to any of them soon. Not that I'm avoiding them, just don't get into their territory. I used to consider a destination BBQ road trip, but I think there's just too much good Q out there to bother with that anymore.

Comment

Love this! I’ll never get to most of theses but cool to read. Can’t believe multiple spots in NYC!! Like others I tend to avoid the destinations spots, though won’t turn down the chance to get to Franklin when I get to Austin. Having married a southern girl from Birmingham, my first taste of real barbecue was there, and I’ll always be partial to Saw’s there in the ‘ham. Nothing against Gibson’s or Dreamland, both of which I enjoy, but Saw’s is pretty special IMO when talking AL barbecue.

Comment

Thx for sharing. I grew up with Big Bob's white sauce in my baby bottle, their chicken is truly unique. Having said that, there are many other "gas station" pits with better bbq. Also, having eaten Central BBQ in Memphis, you are truly missing out if you skip Payne's. Their pork sandwich is a work of art.

Comment

In Brooklyn, lovely spouse and I have been to Hometown but were not impressed. On our visit the meat was too fatty, and thought it had great spice and bark, not much smoke flavor; we wanted smoke.

But my favorite NYC-centric food forum, whose members I trust, have praised Hometown, and also Arrogant Swine (which I haven't been to yet).

Comment

• JoeSousa
                          JoeSousa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Troutman I went to Hill Country when I was in NYC a couple years back. It was fine but nothing great. It is similar to Austin bbq but I went there a couple weeks after eating at La Barbecue and Micklethwait and it was nowhere near as good as those two.

But for being in the middle of NYC it was acceptable.

• josh_karpf
                          josh_karpf commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Troutman, Hill Country is our fave for variety/quality. Also approved by a Houston pal. But does Houston know Austin?.

We married at Blue Smoke, but its entree style is limiting. It's more creative, like its smoked/fried Cornish hen. But we haven't been back much.

Mighty Quinn's started well but now phones it in. Dinosaur acts like TGI Fridays but is solid. Morgans and Fette Sau are great. Pig Beach half-tries and does well; Fletcher's and Smoke Joint try too hard and flop.

• josh_karpf
                          josh_karpf commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Update: I still haven't been to Brooklyn's Bushwick neighborhood's Arrogant Swine, but considering that the most recent local Yelp reviews say it's gone downhill, I'll be saving my palate/liver/gut for somewhere else. Looks like I missed the boat.

Specialties: we are the only Carolina BBQ joint in Brooklyn. we specialize in whole hog BBQ . we give you that down south southern hospitality .

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here