Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite chain restaurant? Mine is now Ruby Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, too, like the salad bar at RT. Sadly, all but 2 nearish to my local have closed... Neither of those 2 are convenient. :-(

Comment

Is Alice's Restaurant a chain? I like to go there for the eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is.

On a more serious note, we don't really eat out much. The only time we do is when we go somewhere, like Spokane or Wenatchee, to do some shopping. Which, of course, leaves us too far from home to eat there. So we mostly go to Panda Express which is an Asian fast food sort of place. Convenient, reasonable, and fairly decent food.

But really, we'd rather eat at Alice's.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a typical case ofAmerican blind justice.

I've never been disappointed with Applebee's or Outback Steakhouse. Haven't been to either in years. Never, never doing Red Crapster aka Red Lobster again. Biggest waste of $$$. Wish we had Burger King and Popeye's in this town....maybe by 2156.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree on Red Lobster, Applebee’s, Outback, Macaroni Grill too.

I have to do Cheddars once a year, it’s the only place that I know who has Monte Christo’s. Who doesn’t like a fried club sandwich with Jelly as a dipping sauce. If you you’re going to eat something unhealthy, you should go all in.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        @Surfdog: Canters is where I discovered the Monte Cristo, and all versions since have been inferior.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog +1 on Canter’s. Not a chain, though, right? If so, I wonder if there’s one closer to us. That drive is brutal!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        You're correct SheilaAnn
        It's not a chain, but still the best place for a Monte Cristo. ;-)

I used to like Hard times, a small chain around here. Seems like most of them are gone now though. As a twenty something in the Eighties I went to what I think was the original in Alexandria Va. A dive, with peanut shells on the floor. A Texas bowl of chili, no beans, just meat and spices was less that five bucks. Came with a side of corn bread. Too many long neck Buds later you knew the meaning of life. The next day? You weren’t sure.

Comment

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        We ate at the Hard Times Cafe in Old Town Alexandria last month. Rustic atmosphere, great selection of chilies, great people. We will go beck when in town.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear it’s still there!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        When we lived in NoVA, we'd eat at Hard Times often. Beyond the chilis, they have VERY GOOD smoked wings.

I know you all are afraid to look weak in front of the cool kids, but they don't scare me, so I'll say it. McD's for the McRib is the best fast food period.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        While I do not care for the McRib, the marketing is pure genius! Just like the shamrock shake.

Another Chick-Fil-A admirer here. Darn, that spicy chicken sammie is good. Order the meal up on the app, go through the drive through just as Huskee describes it (wonder if that setup will stay that way when Covid finally dies down) and badda bing badda boom, we're on our way to a nearby picnic spot to enjoy the meal.

Kathryn

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Chick a Fil finally got up here in the last year or so just in time for the plague to kick the stool out from underneath it.
        Opened to huge fanfare and huge lineups.
        Haven't heard much about it lately.

Just looked 2 locations, still alive and kicking. Sadly other end of the city in a no go zone for me.
        Last edited by smokin fool; June 1, 2021, 07:57 AM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Chick-Fil-A is the bomb, and so is the spicy chick!

They are always crowded though, but do a good job of moving lots of cars through the drive through here, with multiple workers outside taking orders on iPads to speed things through.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Our closest Chick-Fil-A is a 50 minute drive away, so we only go there when in that city. The line can be longish, but it moves very quickly due to their service setup, and especially if we have pre-ordered on their App. Plus we get free sammies or fries almost every few weeks for using the app.
        jfmorris SMOKIN fool

K.

Sadly the last Ruby Tuesday's I know of near me closed during COVID. They did have a mighty good salad bar though. RT's was one of my college hangouts over in Georgia back in the 80's. We mostly hung out at the bar, and back in those days, they had a phenomenal blackened steak. I've not had one as good since, unless I made it myself. I tried a steak at RT's a few years back when someone gave us a gift card, and it was a horrible excuse for a ribeye, and no blackened option available either.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah a lot of these places you learn in a quick hurry what they excel at. I actually really liked their ribs, for restaurant ribs they were mighty tasty, actually impressive for baked & sauced ribs. Their salad bar couldn't be beat anywhere IMO.

Leeann Chin. Not sure if it is anywhere other than the Twin Cites, but it is amazing.

Comment

Runza

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          Runza is the only thing that gets me to even consider driving through NE.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          The tourism board's slogan is: "Nebraska. Honestly, it's not for everyone."

Still would probably put shake shack as my fave but probably my most visited is Wawa. Their subs rock and just all around selection is very good.

Comment

99 Pub. A New England chain.

Comment

HI everybody, I live in Orlando, FL, and since the last autumn, my favorite restaurant has been Tapa Taro https://tapatoro.restaurant/restaura...ention-center/. I love their paellas and tapas. I think they’re the best ones in our city. One of my friends had her birthday party there last week, and this was great. Especially because I like when they cook something right in front of you. My second favorite is Pig Floyds – they make amazing ribs. You should try them if you come to Orlando one day. So yeah, this is it. These are my favorite restaurants in my city.
            Last edited by Jomaryngs; April 11, 2022, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              If you are for real, I apologize in advance, but we get a lot of spammers trying to sneak in by posting on old threads. So, if you are truly interested in what this site has to offer because you like to grill and/or BBQ, welcome and tell us what you are cooking on and what you like to cook.

We used to visit Ruby Tuesdays on occasion, but then they closed up shop and left town. Now we occasionally get take out from a Carabbas just down the road. We have been pleased with most everything we have tried.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember years ago getting champagne chicken from there and being in love. Is it still a menu item? And if so, have you tried it?

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee I haven't seen champagne chicken on the menu, but they do a.decent job of changing their specialty items out from time to time. Over the winter, they had grilled lamb chops and they were outstanding! You should drop them an email. You could be the reason they bring champagne chicken back!

Random vent: lately I have been more & more disappointed at steakhouse steaks. I used to love them no matter where I got them, but now every time I order one it comes to me as a saltless, bland gristle patty, the only seasoning being a bit too much char. I've ordered 2 pricey steaks in 2 different "steakhouses" since early February, both renowned for their steaks. Both awful. I don't get it. It's as if the new norm is unseasoned steak. Salt is cheap. Sure you can add it at the table but it just isn't the same, you know what I mean. I have hereby given up steaks at chain steakhouses. Was it just coincidence? In any case I have come to the conclusion it's not worth it for me, seafood and chicken dishes are much safer.

Chick-Fil-A and Popeye's remain my current favorite fast food chain sandwiches (as different as they are I love both equally), and honorable mention goes to Culver's Double Mushroom Swiss burger.

My favorite sit-down chains since my Ruby Tuesday closed down are now Olive Garden and Red Lobster. They get guff, as does any chain restaurant, but if you know what to order their food can be great.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Craigar that boggles my mind. I have had more unsalted, tasteless steaks than I have great ones and that's no joke. I get that at a fancy restaurant they don't want you putting ranch on their salad or salt on their saucey dishes, and authentic Italian places don't want you using butter on the bread (you use olive oil!)...but for Pete's sake a steak needs salt, fancy steakhouse or not. Are we the uncivilized neanderthals?

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee A couple weeks after that incident, my wife took me to a local steakhouse that has been here for about 100 years, down by the old stockyards. Same thing. Here's the kicker...the joint down in KC was the very first time my wife had ever ordered a steak in a restaurant. No joke. Unfortunately, she said it was her last too.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Craigar to think of all those good ol' boys & girls with no taste buds keeping all those places hopping and thinking they can cook steak properly. Sigh...

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here