Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picnic Durham Review (Hint: Awesome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picnic Durham Review (Hint: Awesome)

About 3 years ago Picnic opened up here in Durham. It’s maybe 10 min from me, but we hadn’t been there yet, mostly because of so many disappointing visits to "award winning" BBQ joints. But with the increasing number of glowing reviews (Time Magazine rated it in the top 8 in the state) it was time to rectify that.

I read some articles recently that had me really excited to try them. One of the 3 owners is a pig farmer at Green Button Farm where he "raises Berkshires, Tamworths, and Durocs in various crossbred combinations about ten miles outside of Durham." And these, of course, are what they’re cooking! Now, if you’re looking only for classic eastern or western/Lexington NC styles, this is not it. I suppose being in the Piedmont they are a very respectable blend of both - they do whole hog, but they pull it and provide a western style sauce along with Texas Pete.

Click image for larger version  Name:	47CABFEF-CA4C-4959-9440-85248861D17A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	707972

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich with slaw and hush puppies.

Click image for larger version  Name:	46327F3A-F21C-467B-AA71-0E1633DFA3E9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	707971

The pork was great - moist, nice pork flavor, and a hint of smoke. I prefer a lot more bark, but I’ll make it that way at home. The sides were all better than expected and clearly homemade. Even the hush puppies were unique - lighter (almost think funnel cake but as a corn bread hush puppies) and savory with a little chopped pepper in them.

Now, being a good Carolina BBQ joint, they also had banana pudding which my wife and I decided to share.

Click image for larger version  Name:	12CE875E-FC6C-4549-9744-7B50F43D0DD7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	707974

Again, clearly homemade and that’s real whip cream. It was without a doubt the best I’ve ever had.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F75B8CFA-ECD7-4A51-A045-D9E8E2EB8BA0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	707973

Overall it was a great experience. I’d highly recommend it to anyone on AR, and will be back myself to try their "non-native "cue” (brisket and spareribs) as well as their fried chicken. It’s not cheap, lunch for 2 with dessert was just over $30 tip included. But well worth it considering the heritage hogs and homemade sides. So happy we found this little gem here in Bull City! 👍🏻
    Last edited by FishTalesNC; July 5, 2019, 10:28 AM.

What's that stuff that looks like a yard clipping snow cone?
    Last edited by Bkhuna; July 5, 2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL if you’re truly wondering - cole slaw. Not my preferred style, but came with the sandwich and was also clearly homemade, I’ll give it that. My wife had the dill potato salad and raved about it.

Thanx. I'll keep it in mind if I am ever in the area.

Comment

have you ever tried adam's roadside bbq between smithfield and goldsboro?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t say that have, but it’s only a slight detour on my trips to/from Wilmington to see family. Pretty solid?

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        don't know, they are always closed when i pass them. ken's grill in lagrange has awesome nc bbq though. pork sells out by 2pm

It reminds me of when I wrote this about Picnic:

The owner was a great guy!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s awesome scottranda ! Think you posted that review before I was even on AR. Really interesting info you relayed from your conversation, don’t get that every day! Btw, ever watched No Country for Old Men?

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t! I’ll have to!

Sweet! We'll have to go try it some time....

Comment

I'll have to try it if I get that way. Don't normally go to the Raleigh/Durham area, these days since I'm retired and it's 6hrs from me.

NC has a bunch of top notch BBQ joints. Ayden, Lexington, Murphy even there in Raleigh/Durham have been recognized for a couple.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 5, 2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here