Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bbq in Raleigh, NC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bbq in Raleigh, NC?

Heading to Raleigh in 2 weeks. What are the best bbq places in the city? Thanks.

I went here with some friends a few years back: http://www.thepit-raleigh.com

That was before I really knew what good barbecue was but I enjoyed it. I remember the collards were particularly good. No idea what I actually ordered there (I assume pork of some sort) but I do remember we all liked the food for what that is worth.

Comment

I get to Raleigh every once in a while. The Pit is good, here is a list of others that are rated by customers:

I know we have at least two members from Raleigh and they will see your post and reply.

Comment

Only place I've been up there was The Pit, if I remember it was good but a bit pricey for BBQ. I suggest looking for Soul Food places as well since they often have amazing BBQ but are less well known because people think it's just pig feet and collards.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
          I get to Raleigh every once in a while. The Pit is good, here is a list of others that are rated by customers:

I know we have at least two members from Raleigh and they will see your post and reply.
          You tagged my own post?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry about that try this. The Pit is listed No. 1 but there are a number I would visit to get real Carolina Q. https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...=Raleigh%2C+NC

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            From that list:
            Yes to The Pit, Ole Time Barbecue, and Clyde Coopers.
            City is actually a chain, from Ohio of all places, but they treat all the different varieties of BBQ with respect.
            Danny's is actually a North Fla. style, but pretty good.
            I've heard good things about Redneck BBQ lab, but no personal experience.
            That's probably all I'd recommend on that list for BBQ, although a number of the others are good/great restaurants, just not BBQ joints.

I would have thought NC would be loaded with places. Perhaps just not that location.

I would have no clue though.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey it is, they’re like Mexican places in SoCal - there’s always one around the corner. But GREAT ones? Harder to find. Every one around here claims to be "voted best in the Triangle" at some point. I’ve been underwhelmed often, don’t go out for ‘cue that much any more and haven’t (yet) been to The Pit.

FishTalesNC That makes plenty of sense. BBQ is not a thing out here but tacos are. Some better than others.

Yeah it’s really hard to eat out. The quality of or seafood at work is ridiculous and I never even attempt to order it out. Pasta, bbq and chicken is hard too. I stick to salads, Pho, ramen and tacos.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey I'll admit to really missing Rubio's. The Mexican food out here is of course VERY different from the Baja style there, and even different what my family (from TX & NM) typically eats. Thankfully a place opened up in Chapel Hill near me called Chronic Taco, they're out of Newport Beach, so I still have an option when I start jonesin' for a Baja style fish taco!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            FishTalesNC I pass chronic every day in Newport on my way to work. One here in HB too. I have never eaten there. Man, I gotta get out more. Never had chipotle either.

The Pit's good, but I always feel they are overpriced, and not really an "NC BBQ" place. Honestly, Raleigh is kinda in the middle between the Mecca's east and west of us. My recommendation in Raleigh would be Clyde Cooper's. They've been around forever, and have the best fried chicken I've ever had. Oh yeah, I like their pork, too

If you're willing to drive a little bit, there's Hillsborough BBQ in Hillsborough, NC. The town's become a nice little artisan area since I grew up there. To the east an hour or so is Wilson, NC and Greenville, NC. The area anchored by those 2 towns has a lot of the well known whole-hog places, including the Skylight Inn in Ayden.

Couple of nice sites for NC 'que:
          This website is for sale! ncbbqsociety.com is your first and best source for information about ncbbqsociety. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Long the world’s premiere bastion of barbecue, North Carolina celebrates its heritage and diversity with these stops at some of our state’s most historic pits.

The Barbecue Bros’ quest: to visit each restaurant on the North Carolina Historic Barbecue Trail by the end of 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019. We will track our progress on this page, linking t…

And focus on pork and chicken. I'd be wary of brisket in NC, I wait on that until I visit the in-laws in Texas.

If you want non-bbq places in the area I have a lot more recommendations

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here